Author Topic: The beeb  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
The beeb
« on: November 10, 2013, 23:39:43 PM »
I have commented on the current standards of BBC News reporting before but there was yet another example this evening.

Reporter on the Philippines storm actually said “what the pictures cannot convey is the smell – the sweet stench of death”

Sweet and death in the same sentence - aggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :o :o :o

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: The beeb
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 23:49:16 PM »
I was watching the Scotland v Japan rugby match yesterday (only because the twins were there and I hoped to see them) and the commentator stated that "Scotland needed to find a little chink in the opposition defence".

Of course they do, that's a different country and he'd have to leave the field of play  ;)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 16:54:02 PM »
H, I can't really see what you are upset about. The notion that human death (especially corpses that are starting to rot) have a sweet (sometimes sickly sweet) smell is often expressed by reporters of mass death scenes and has been as long as I can remember. For example, her is William Hicks reporting for Life magazine on 3 September 1945: "We saw Hiroshima today - or what little is left of it ... the sickly sweet smell of death is everywhere".

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 18:48:28 PM »
If you've been unfortunate enough to smell a dead body you will indeed agree that there is a "sweetness" to the aroma, once smelt, never forgotten. In fact it's recognised by the nursing profession as a "sickly sweet aroma" that's very often given off by a person as a precursor to death.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf