Author Topic: Irritating non-jobs  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Bluwise

Irritating non-jobs
« on: November 24, 2013, 15:35:37 PM »
Just booked our flights and started me pondering on things I see or hear that annoy me - 
Queuing at passport control  arriving back in Manchester and someone is employed to tell you which desk to go to.  For heaven's sake, do we really need telling which desk is free?  There is usually only 2 or 3 open anyway so it's not hard to make a sensible decision. 
It really pee's me off, especially at 2am after 4 hours of numb-bum on the flight. >:(

I am also increasingly annoyed by supermarkets restricting my purchase of paracetemol to 2 x pkts - surely if I wanted to self-harm, their restrictions wouldn't stop me?  All they are doing is annoying people wanting to make a reasonable purchase.

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
Re: Irritating non-jobs
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 22:47:41 PM »
this as always puzzled me about the restrictions, because if you really wanted to do away with your self, you could do the rounds of all the places that sell paracetamol and end up with any amount you wanted ,

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 22:55:53 PM »
I use the Perth HSBC and it is a strange place, everything that you might normally do is done by machine - there is possibly no requirement for staff at all. There are staff, I have seen them arrive and walk through to the back. Withdrawing money is automated, paying in is done into machines that count your notes and reject any for having the tiniest fold in one corner. Even if it was a bank you just got them from.

But in the middle of all this space age scene, a human stands. They are employed to say "Hello", "Thanks" and "Would you like me to swap that for a different twenty".

Offline angela

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 13:21:48 PM »
I bough two little pencil erasers in Paperchase,  one a duck and the other a dolphin for my granddaughter. I was on my own, and when I payed I went to put them in my handbag. She stopped me, saying that because of 'Health and Safety' she had to bag them and seal the bag with a hazard label because of the risk of choking.  I very nearly did but not for that reason!!

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 19:26:06 PM »
So annoying.  We are treated like idiots!   >:( >:( >:(

Offline Menthol

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 08:48:14 AM »
Oh yes the 'nanny state' is alive and well here in the UK.

There was once a happy medium that sort of straddled the standards in Turkey (do NOT laugh) and standards in the UK around the 1980s. My preferred standard I think.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for being safe and healthy but Angela's eraser experience is beyond the pale. Of course a great deal of this stems from the paranoid 'sue 'em' culture that I abhor and rail about regularly.

Can't think of any other non-jobs right now though. I have noticed 'meeters and greeters' at all my local supermarkets no longer exist.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 08:55:34 AM »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf