Author Topic: Our rekindled love affair with Calis  (Read 4841 times)

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
Our rekindled love affair with Calis
« on: July 09, 2016, 16:11:08 PM »
I've just found my password so this is later than I'd intended. We missed 2015 which was the first time we hadn't been since 1989. We were so excited it seemed like a new resort ! Although we had stayed at Manas before in 2014 it had some minor changes which included a snack bar with home made pides a welcome addition to the food choices. The staff hadn't changed and were still pleasant and welcoming. It's amazing what a difference 2 years make. Our place was sold at Christmas and it's nice to arrive and not have to start making the place home again. Although the things I miss about it are many! I wouldn't go and look at it! Shaun did and he said it looked lovely. Although it was the right thing to do and I'm glad we sold, I did love the place.
The journey from Dalaman seemed over in such a short time and I'm still amazed by the turn off from the Dalaman road into calis which sees us there in minutes ? Can't work it out. The resort itself was just as fab as ever. Quiet, but then for early June that seemed about right. We were AI. However in 10 days we ate in the hotel 4 nights. The restaurants on the prom have changed over time and we now don't get hassled any more . We're not known any more! So we ate over the bridge. We never eat over the bridge!! But we liked the look of the refurbished mangal. It was super. Slick service and lovely food. Huge portions. Dare I say too big! But at any rate, good food. We also ate at Frank Cannons. Well we'd been on Sukrus boat that day and the lunch was phenomenal so we fancied a late kebab that night rather than the full mashings! We ate once at Buzz in Olu Deniz- gorgeous as always. We had a fabulous evening at the Yacht classic. Memorable. Hardly pioneers but we discovered Mosaic Bache! Omg, loved it. So much we went twice! So that's our 10 nights. We had a chilled, relaxed hols. We remembered why we fell in love with the the place all those years ago and we will return.

Offline marina

Re: Our rekindled love affair with Calis
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 16:44:32 PM »
Great post and I have to agree about the new Mangals, portions far too big, couldn't eat mine but good food and lovely people running it.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 21:40:58 PM »
Nice post Cavfan :D

Which Mangals? Pretty sure the last time I was in Calis there were now two. One at the B52 bar and one where it has always been.
Going into Calis on Monday so will have lunch there.

Offline marina

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 21:44:03 PM »
It's the one that's always been there, now refurbished, that I mean Menthol.  I'm assuming that's also the one that Cafvan meant. 

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 21:48:44 PM »
The present Mrs H had one of the best meals ever in the Mangal House, the site of the original, when we were over last month.

Said her stuffed calamari was gorgeous. The restaurant has been very nicely refurbished.

Historically, we always had our first meal in Calis at Mangal and the man in the photograph is a real gentleman. Sadly the girl is no longer there - works in the hospital now I believe.

The front man on the other Mangal is a little push in my opinion. Must know Rushie         ;)

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 16:11:02 PM »
Nice post Cavfan :D

Which Mangals? Pretty sure the last time I was in Calis there were now two. One at the B52 bar and one where it has always been.
Going into Calis on Monday so will have lunch there.
The original site was the one we tried. We are unlikely to try anything B52 related!

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 07:59:14 AM »
Isn't it a lovely feeling to go back somewhere and it was not just as good as you remember it, but it is even better.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 23:53:38 PM »
I didn't go to Mangals. I needed the breeze of the prom as it was so hot and went to Lighthouse instead as their pide ('Lighthouse Special' for me without the meat) is one of the best.

It was still too hot on the front.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf