Author Topic: Christmas Fair 2016  (Read 7148 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Christmas Fair 2016
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 17:42:02 PM »
There are a number of reasons why the Christmas fair is unlikely to be held before December:

1) our autumn coffee am / fashion show is in October &, as we showcase the "new season's fashions" from the shop, that really isn't a moveable event

2) the organisation takes approx 2.5 - 3 months, so as H has already indicated that would mean that we would be starting to work on the fair virtually as soon as the spring fair & auctions are over & this is the hottest time of year, when a lot of ex-pats don't want to be outside. Also, many of our volunteers either have family & friends visiting for holidays or take the opportunity to do a Blighty run to see their loved ones, so even less people are available to do the organising.

3) the Christmas fair takes place on the promenade within the bars & restaurants, as it gives those businesses a bite of the cherry. I cannot see that in a normal tourist year any of them will free up space for us to put in stalls. Since the majority of the 3C's profits come from selling the stall space, it would diminish that profit. We are not officially allowed to use the grass area & the "roadway" has to remain clear for emergency vehicles, so that is not an option.

4) Father Christmas needs time to grow his beard & he refuses to start before September is over    :)   ;)

5) Christmas is in December

Offline Lotty

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 20:15:13 PM »
Of course it's a Xmas fair for the people who actually live here and must be an immense event to organise but as a lot of people reading this are here on holiday this month, and like something a bit different, it might be something to consider for next year. It could be an opportunity to raise a bit more maybe? Just my thoughts.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 22:38:30 PM »
Martin Lewis was on T.V last week advising people to buy something each week from now on.  As he said every year in January people contact him to say they have overspent for Christmas and are in financial difficulties  because they bought in December, most have huge credit card bills.   His advise was very clear, don't leave it to December to buy.
Christmas may be in December, but starting to buy a little each week or two  for Christmas is a good way to go.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 23:00:31 PM »
Jacqui and lotty

I have to respectfully disagree with you both.

Liz101 gave you three perfectly valid reasons as to why the Fair is unlikely to be held before December. Which of the three do you take issue with.

I for one would not be in a hurry to ask the already hard pressed volunteers to work their collective butts off during the hottest part of the year just so the Fair can be in October.

And I certainly don't think that the 3 C's should be too worried about Martin Lewis' advice when deciding the date of their event.

Online marina

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 23:12:54 PM »
Couldn't agree more Highlander. The Christmas Fair is obviously very successful so why try and change things. There's no guarantee that any tourists around in October (apart from a few) would want to spend their time and money on Christmas. Think we should leave it to the experts!   ;)

Offline Lotty

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2016, 06:41:40 AM »
I'm not saying the fair should be earlier, I was only trying to give my reasonable interpretation as to why the suggestion was made in the first place. No offence intended.   :)

Offline sadler

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2016, 08:28:14 AM »
Personally, the last thing I want to think about when on holiday in October is Christmas! I just want to extend my summer for as long as possible.

I agree 100% with Highlander's post. Those who give their time volunteering for the children should be congratulated, not put under pressure to give more!

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2016, 09:37:50 AM »
I'm not saying the fair should be earlier, I was only trying to give my reasonable interpretation as to why the suggestion was made in the first place. No offence intended.     :)

Certainly none taken lotty   :)

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2016, 10:14:16 AM »
Anyway, back on topic, we are now taking bookings for stalls at the Christmas Fair, so far about 20 spaces sold   ;)  :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2016, 11:48:57 AM »
I wish it could be Christmas every month

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf