Author Topic: Getting a bit concerned  (Read 9193 times)

Offline Clioman2

Re: Getting a bit concerned
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2019, 10:52:16 AM »
have to disagree Nicola, the canal has been smelly on a few occasions this June/July and the last I read on the forum regarding the polluted sea was a quote from one of the local papers stating that the issue might be remedied at the end of this season OR the end of next season.
Here's the link to the website of the authority checking water quality.
http://www.yuzme.saglik.gov.tr/?fbclid=IwAR1lYdGRkk0wmbRzm2kGv9cG6ZEwhN75wLovBLN5CHrimgolqx8q3fKqq_A
Zoom in to the area of interest.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2019, 11:36:17 AM »
We did notice a terrible smell from the canal on a couple of ocassions in September.

Offline charlste

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2019, 12:10:16 PM »
Go sit in the Kerim and then tell me theres no smell.
Its disgusting.

Offline marina

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2019, 12:39:44 PM »
We've been to the Kerim several times over the last 10 days and not noticed a smell. I also went to Fethiye and back on the water taxi yesterday and again didn't notice anything. I'm not saying there isn't a smell sometimes but it can't be there all the time because believe me, if there was, I'd soon get a whiff!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2019, 13:48:40 PM »
Same, been on the water taxi several times this week and no smell in the opinion of all four of us.

Offline Wasp0

• It takes a lot of balls to golf the way I do
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2019, 17:19:24 PM »
There hasn't been a smelly canal here at all this year - the sea has been perceived as a problem but it's being dealt with having made national Turkish news.

Flight prices are ridiculously high at the moment but there is a concerted effort by the Turkish Ministry to ensure that the spare capacity is filled and although a solution won't be found over night already BA are committed to substantially upping the number of flights, Jet2 are apparently going to add additional flights and with luck it seems Turkish Airlines and Lufthansa may also be looking to fill some of that spare capacity.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that Turkey is going to go to war again. We haven't been at war at any time all as far as I know in all the years I have lived here.

What has happened is that yesterday morning Trump decided to pull America's troops out of Syria. He was then roundly criticised by his own Republicans, a rare event in itself, so he retaliated by going on the defensive a few hours later threatening to destroy the Turkish economy if Turkey did anything he didn't like!

The reality is that the US and Turkey were meant to jointly oversee the creation of a buffer zone in northern Syria so that about one million of the 4.25 million refugees that currently live in Turkey can return to safe area where new houses, schools and hospitals will be built. Negotiations have been going on for months about this and it was only recently agreed that the Americans would be actively present during this process. Part of the problem is that much of this area is held by the YPG who were supported by the US and its allies during this still ongoing conflict but without going into any detail they are not considered an ally by Turkey.

Whatever happens the border between Turkey and Syria is a good 25 hours away by road and about highly unlikely to affect popular tourist areas such as Fethiye in any way whatsoever.

And this is not a WAR?    ;) ( https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-49998035

Just a quick visit to another country, bit like when English footie fans go abroad  ;)

Offline MarKar

• Newly Registered
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2019, 22:10:28 PM »
we have noticed the smelly canal last year and this, but what we have noticed is it seems to happen when the area is especially busy around bahram or august holidays.

Offline charlste

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2019, 06:58:06 AM »
Even cihan the waiter in kerim was saying he is sick of the smell of sh#te.
We have been in three times this week sitting right on the corner and its not good.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2019, 08:29:29 AM »
But you came back to sit there two further times?

Offline marina

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2019, 08:32:10 AM »
Just what I was thinking Scunner!  :o

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf