Author Topic: The cost of not having insurance  (Read 3789 times)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
The cost of not having insurance
« on: October 21, 2019, 14:31:34 PM »
This came up on my Facebook feed today.  I thought I would share it for two reasons.

Firstly to highlight to foolishness of not having the correct holiday insurance as well as getting on the back of a motorcycle in a foreign country.

Secondly to give people the opportunity to help this poor lady and her family should they wish to do so.

I’m sure it will open up a debate but remember there is a very ill woman in all of this.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/xzb5q-bring-my-mum-home?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Re: The cost of not having insurance
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 15:02:39 PM »
Been doing the rounds on Facebook for a while stop.

No insurance, no helmet, driver no insurance.

Sheer folly I'm afraid.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 15:09:56 PM »
Been doing the rounds on Facebook for a while stop.

No insurance, no helmet, driver no insurance.

Sheer folly I'm afraid.

Started 23/09. Updated today. Seems she’s still in the hospital.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 15:30:56 PM »
I wonder why she's 'scared' of the fella whose motorbike she was on the back of ?

Offline marina

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 16:22:04 PM »
I feel very sorry for the lady and especially her children who are now trying to get her home. But to take the risks she did and to travel without insurance is completely stupid. I've heard this time and time again, 'I didn't think I needed insurance'  or ' I couldn't afford insurance on top of the holiday' or 'I didn't think it would happen to me'  >:(  and then other people are left to pick up the bill! I've never travelled abroad without insurance. I wouldn't want to put my family in the position this lady's family is in now if anything did happen. Nor would you catch me on the back of a motorbike either!  :o

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 17:19:13 PM »
I wouldn't want to put my family in the position this lady's family is in now if anything did happen.

All good points marina but especially the one quoted.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 22:37:43 PM »
It's easy to judge and criticise and yes of course everyone should ensure they are adequately insured - but is there any one of us judging this poor lady who haven't even once accepted a lift back to our hotel on the back of a moped, or in a car which is not a licensed taxi, maybe the restaurant owners' car, or someone else's car driven by the bar owner? Did you check it was insured to take you back? Did you put your seatbelt on every time you returned to the tour vehicle every time, when you went on that excursion?

It's easy to criticise when you weren't the one who's luck was out when you needed it most.

Offline marina

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 06:41:38 AM »
Fair point Scunner and I understand what you are saying and, hand on heart, I can't honestly say I've never done any of those things.  But it still doesn't alter the fact that she risked going on holiday without any insurance for herself. Reckless in itself.

Offline Steve A

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 09:12:55 AM »
It’s very unfortunate that this has happened but I am afraid I don’t have much sympathy.
EVERYONE knows you need travel insurance,EVERYONE knows to check to see what you are covered for,it’s lart of the planning of your trip.If you don’t take insurance and this happens you cannot expect others to pay for your misfortune

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2019, 17:28:52 PM »
Yes we’ve all done stupid things which would probably invalidate our insurance but I still struggle to understand why people don’t take it out.

To be honest I think it should be a condition of getting a visa. No policy number no visa. That will never happen though.

I really think the family are desperate but it seems many have the view that she took a chance and it went wrong.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf