Author Topic: Revolut - choosing which currency to use  (Read 9271 times)

Offline Bluwise

Revolut - choosing which currency to use
« on: August 26, 2020, 10:26:15 AM »
If you have £, TL and euros in your account and want to pay in euros in Turkey (eg at Dalaman duty free) is there an option when you are paying or will it automatically pay in TL?  Thanks

Offline legless

• Muppet on Wheels
  • Global Moderator
Re: Revolut - choosing which currency to use
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 10:50:11 AM »
Please be aware that the Turkish banks are now charging between 5 & 12% for card transactions, even with zero % cards 

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 11:37:19 AM »
 >:(
Please be aware that the Turkish banks are now charging between 5 & 12% for card transactions, even with zero % cards 

Oh no, so if I pay by Revolut  card in TL anywhere in resort I am going to be charged??  That's spoiled my plans then......... >:( >:(

Offline Fran

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 11:49:47 AM »
I’ve got a TransferWise card which I think is the same, mine is loaded with TL. I used it in shops and restaurants no charge, however one restaurant took the payment in pounds without me noticing and that cost me an extra £2. I was also charged for taking cash out from an ATM 24tl for taking out 900tl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 11:51:57 AM »
Cash is still King.  :)

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 15:46:37 PM »
Iv got the Starling account which I believe is similar to the Revolut, I was gutted to get charged nearly 6% on wivdrawing tl, as even though Starling does not charge to use abroad the banks here are!
So what Iv been doing is doing my shopping paying for meals in a lot of places with the card and then still getting the MasterCard exchange rate.

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 16:19:04 PM »
Is the charge on Revolut just for withdrawing cash then or transactions/purchases as well?  Im confused as I thought purchases were free  :-\

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 17:30:56 PM »
I think what it is Bluwise is it’s not the uk side of things that is charging it’s the Turkish side when you wivdraw currency ( even tl) but someone has said the PTT machines don’t charge...Iv not been charged on any of my purchases hence why I decided to pay by card, and I’m finding I prefer it now...
On saying that I’d hate to tell you the wrong thing so maybe someone who has the Revolut can tell you more!

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 18:32:57 PM »
I think what it is Bluwise is it’s not the uk side of things that is charging it’s the Turkish side when you wivdraw currency ( even tl) but someone has said the PTT machines don’t charge...Iv not been charged on any of my purchases hence why I decided to pay by card, and I’m finding I prefer it now...
On saying that I’d hate to tell you the wrong thing so maybe someone who has the Revolut can tell you more!
Thanks for that - maybe I will just pay a few bar bills when we are over and see what happens.  I was warned about withdrawals charging so hadn't planned on that anyway.  Appreciate your help though.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 19:07:43 PM »
I think that's the way to go - Turkish bars, shops & restaurants much prefer cash but this is making it difficult, and it's the Turkish banks doing it.

Card where possible, change cash as required. A real shame because Revolut/Starling was great when in town.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf