Author Topic: Poppy Brooches & Cuff Links etc., for sale to help British Legion.  (Read 3822 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Marks and Spencers have a nice range of poppy related brooches, cuff links etc.,  All profits to go the the British Legion.  Good to get them now for Poppy Day, as they will sell out quickly.
Link:    http://www.marksandspencer.com/MSFindItemsByKeyword?&searchTerm=poppy+brooch&langId=-24&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&categoryId=0&typeAhead=

Offline littlereddevil

Re: Poppy Brooches & Cuff Links etc., for sale to help British Legion.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 21:33:33 PM »
I love those sparkly poppies they sell

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 00:56:45 AM »
Poppies purchased from M&S do not give all the money raised to the British Legion, I never buy them from Mark and Spencers always purchase from the poppy shop British Legion    Marks and Sparks state they do not make money from the items, they only keep back the cost of shipping from branch to branch, yet even that is enough.

The British Legion Poppy Shop.

http://www.poppyshop.org.uk/charity-jewellery/brooches.html?p=2

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 09:20:41 AM »
I also buy my poppy brooches from the British Legion. Not used M.&.S. yet.  I put a link on CBF a few years ago now to the British Legion Website and I remember you Loz using the link and being pleased to get one as you said the Poppy was your favourite flower.
I have three British Legion Poppy Brooches up to now  and I love them. 
I just saw this advert for the M.&.S. Poppies yesterday ( and I note today that they only have 3 styles left now).
I assumed when I read the piece under each item that they were donating to the British Legion.
This is a the message under one of the pieces, they all had a similiar message.
----------------
All profits (£4.50 of the £15.00 retail selling price) from the sale of this beautiful brooch will be paid to Royal British Legion Trading Limited which gives its taxable profits to The Royal British Legion (Charity No. 219279) and Poppyscotland (Scottish Charity No. SC014096). For more information visit www.britishlegion.org.uk. Comes with a gift box.
--------------------------
I am sorry if I mislead anyone,  I just read the piece and assumed all proftis went to the British Legion. So please accept my apologies.   I also as I have done in the past,  recommend the British Legion Website. 

Offline patrice

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 10:00:14 AM »
Thanks Jacqui for the info
I also only buy via the British Legion .I have just ordered a wreath from them in memory of my dear Dad that we lost recently .I will be attending a service on Remembrance Day and be laying the wreath in his honour he served  with The Para Regiment and was at Arnhem .
I have a beautiful poppy broach that my Dad gave my Mum.Coincidently my Mums birthday was 11th -November so I will also be honoring my Mum that day and paying tribute to all those Hero's that lost their lives during world conflicts .

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 10:16:07 AM »
That's lovely Patrice. I am sure you are very proud of your late Father.
I remember a  Welsh lady I knew in Liverpool, lost her husband at Arnhem.  They had only been married for one week when he was killed and she never married again.  Some very said stories from that era.
Phil and I come from a Naval and R.A.F. families and we always feel very close to Legion.  My Father's cousin was killed in North Africa and at the moment my cousin in Canada is researching his history.
Hope everyone on the Forum will buy a poppy.

Offline lynne

• Birmingham, UK
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 10:17:54 AM »
This made me think so I've investigated a little further.  The turnover for Royal British Legion Trading (which is the online shop) in 2014 was £5,254,764.  From that, their net profit was £2,172,631 so their running costs were 3,082,133. 

So it's not all bad for the M&S items - there doesn't appear to be a huge amount of difference with the donation percentages.

Offline patrice

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 10:33:33 AM »
Thanks Jacqui
Yes I am very proud of my Dad he also served in North Africa and six months with the SAS.He died back in March and we had a  Military funeral for him the local press gave coverage. My Dad spoke little about his experiences until in his later life. He served with his twin brother who is still with us and is often seen  speaking on TV on the Forces Channel.

Offline patrice

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 16:46:20 PM »
The British Legion have several care homes that support ex servicemen and women for long term and short term care plus they  out source funds to rehabilitation centres .I think by now we are all aware of the high running cost to maintain a good standard of care where I would image takes a good proportion of the turnover of funds. 

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 09:53:10 AM »
Just a heads up.  Ebay have 2,500 people selling poppy brooches.  Most of these people are just selling them with no donation to the R.B.L.  So, if you want a brooch, please buy directly from the Royal British Legion.
I just got brooch No.4 from them this morning and it is lovely.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf