Author Topic: Shaka - what's in the dip?  (Read 5453 times)

Offline Bluwise

Shaka - what's in the dip?
« on: September 12, 2013, 07:28:25 AM »
Does anyone know what is in the olive oil dip they serve with the bread at Shaka please?  It did taste  like the usual balsamic and oil but the dark stuff was really thick and very tasty.
I had meant to ask when we were there but was distracted by Mr Grumpy who had walked too far and had too much sun yesterday  >:(   
Didn't help that the first bar we stopped at on the new prom charged us 14tl each for a G&T (along with obligatory flat tonic) and then the veg were cold at Shaka.

Happens to us all I suppose - not our best night out this week  :D

Offline lance

• Prolific Member
Re: Shaka - what's in the dip?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 09:26:13 AM »
The name  is  Nar eksill sos. pomegranite juice

Offline Shamless2

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 09:31:13 AM »
I've wondered the same, it's better than the usual tapenade, also the courgette chips, we love them and tried to make them at home, but they end up to hard and not cooked through. So if anyone has the answers to both questions I would love to know.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 09:33:05 AM »
Yep thats the one, I used to take back to the UK but now it is available, I shake it over salads, so much more interesting, actually shake on anything, yum. 

type into google Nar eksili sos and images and then you can see what you are looking for in the supermarkets.

Offline Marggie

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 09:46:58 AM »
Slightly off topic but Nar related.  When making pickled beetroot, I use Nar sirkesi (vinegar) it is not nearly as wersh as the other Turkish vinegars.

Offline Firo

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 09:49:09 AM »
It is crushed black olives paste then Nar (or Balsamic Vinegar) and olive oil with a few drieds herb sprinkled on top.... ;D

Offline tonysue

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 09:53:24 AM »
I've wondered the same, it's better than the usual tapenade, also the courgette chips, we love them and tried to make them at home, but they end up to hard and not cooked through. So if anyone has the answers to both questions I would love to know.
I put potato and sweet potato chips in the microwave in a jug with plastic bag over the top and blast them for 3 minutes, drain and put in hot oven on a greased baking sheet for about 15 minutes, turning/shaking them part way thru. Low calorie chips.lol. should work with courgettes

Offline Firo

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 09:59:00 AM »
Part boil the courgettes before dipping in a light water based batter and fry.. ;D

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 11:04:46 AM »
The name  is  Nar eksill sos. pomegranite juice
So is the pomegranate juice mixed with olive oil and crushed black olives as Firo mentioned?  It was so delish, especially the olives mixed in -
Do any of the smaller markets sell nar eksill or do I need to go to a bigger one?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 11:11:03 AM »
Most delis, oriental markets and many supermarkets in the UK sell pomegranate syrup. It's very 'now' with top chefs at the moment.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf