Author Topic: Importing a car  (Read 3299 times)

Offline Gilly1

• Gillian Grundy
Importing a car
« on: March 14, 2016, 18:53:00 PM »
Hi we are planning a road trip in April ending up in Turkey and applying for our strp. Can anyone confirm or deny that the car has to be registered in the drivers name for at least 6 months on entering Turkey. I have been on the doc Martin website and he has not seen anything written or heard anything regarding this. Has anyone entered the country with a newly purchased second hand car? We are getting conflicting reports.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Importing a car
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 19:14:50 PM »
New rule changes allow a car to be imported for up to two years, as long as neither the driver(?) nor the vehicle have been in Turkey during the previous 180 days.  Not heard anything in respect of it having to be "registered" to the driver for any specific period of time either. 

Incidentally, while the car is in Turkey under temporary import it has to be kept legal in relation to the country it is registered in - this means MOT, Road Tax and (minimum) third party insurance if it's a UK vehicle. 

If you're going for over six months, mibbe best to give Inspector on here a shout - he'll know the most up to date info.  I'm sure he wouldn't charge much and it'd give you peace of mind.

JF

Offline angieebabe

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 08:16:39 AM »
You will  more likely have to purchase local car insurance at the border when entering Turkey , they will do a minimum 6 month Policy I believe.
On the 180 day not having been in the country prior, I have had conflicting reports , some had issues some did not and how rigorously they enforce it.
I am driving back next month with my son in law ! He is Turkish , but the car is registered in his name, they have had issues with there UK insurance company , where when ever you mention crossing into Turkey then your insurance is immediately void. Be interesting to see if anyone else has had the same issues or might know of any different ways around it,.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 08:52:01 AM »
The last time I drove over I had a bit of a problem persuading Aviva to add Turkey to my Green Card, but after several emails, they agreed to it for £40 for 90 days and included the car transporter trailer I was towing

It mght be worthwhile getting your son-in-law to contact Türkiye Turing ve Otomobil Kurumu to ask how much it would cost to buy insurance at the border and see how costs compare.

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 10:52:33 AM »

As pointed out on other forums, the vehicle has to be kept fully legal as in UK, i.e. taxed and MoT'd, so becomes difficult to keep here for 2 years without at least one trip back to UK to comply.

Offline angieebabe

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 11:49:01 AM »
Strangely enough it is also Aviva they are insured with , when they phoned the other day the customer service dept was the most unhelpful bunch you could imagine.
Luckily the car we are bringing over is new , so MOT's are not a problem and Road Tax is done online so hopefully no issues .
It's the 180 day that's worrying me , my son in law was flew over to Turkey 2 weeks ago for a week , but bring a Turkish Citizen would this bear any difference ?

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 11:59:59 AM »
but bring a Turkish Citizen would this bear any difference ?

It might as I don't think Turkish citizens are allowed to do temporary imports.  As I stated above, contact the CBF member Inspector - he's an ex Polis and deals with residency and other paperwork for foreigners.  It may cost you a small fee, but at least you'd be getting reliable advice.

JF

Offline angieebabe

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 12:50:44 PM »
Thanks for your advice John, I should have also mentioned my son in law also has dual Passports , U.K. And Turkish .
I am actually out of the Country at the moment , but my wife is still in Calis , does the Inspector have an office in Calis / Fethiye so she can go along and discuss, we have a couple of things on other subjects so this could be a worthwhile visit.
Once again appreciate your assistance .

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf