Author Topic: Sovalye  (Read 14038 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Sovalye
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2011, 17:33:01 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Toky

Letoonia doesn't appeal to me. :D

In-laws stayed there in September. Were not impressed !!!!.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 17:34:29 PM by Highlander »

Offline fernando torres

Sovalye
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2011, 17:35:20 PM »
We went over last summer 20 lira return, you will neen good walking shoes as it's up and down hills, no restaurant, something that you would only do once, not what we expected,

Offline philrose

Sovalye
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 19:34:34 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

quote:
Originally posted by philrose

Why fear of snakes?

I've never seen a stag in Scotland but I am told they exist

Just wondered why the sovalye is considered to be snake territory...

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
Sovalye
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 20:40:30 PM »
I have an absolute phobia of snakes and I (thankfully) never saw one anytime that I went over to Sovayle.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Sovalye
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2011, 22:29:54 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by GordonA

If someone expresses a desire to go to Sovalye, why would they be better going to Letoonia?? And how on earth can you get "the same views" from an entirely different place??

Sovalye and Letoonia are very close and if you are on the right hand side of the Island you get exactly the same view across the bay to Fethiye. (Check it out on Google)  Having sat at the restaurants at Letoonia in the evenings and looked to Fethiye I can say the view is wonderful.  If we had not bought in Calis we would definitely have gone back to Letoonia. :)
I wonder how many people who write about Letoonia have actually stayed there[?]

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Sovalye
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2011, 09:34:15 AM »
well, we've stayed there (Letoonia)!   excellent for some aspects of your holiday but diabolical for others !  Everyone to their own, far too busy for us, over run with russians and the food was very hit and miss.  The view from the end of the peninsula restaurant is stunning at sunset, but in my opinion spoiled by the constant demands and 'loud' voices of the russian guests, who dominated the restaurant trying to impress the 'natashas'.   We like Sovalye, probably wouldn't stay there as we like to be out and about exploring, but nice to visit, wander around and a quiet afternoon.

Offline scorcher

Sovalye
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2011, 10:27:39 AM »
I have been to Sovalye twice and loved it, both times got regular boat over (was 8TL return then) but asked boat to return at more suitable time for us, that cost 30TL per BOAT for special trip.  Ate both times at Ece hotel, not cheap but v good, as stuff has to be boated over not surprising.  both times were out of high season (June and late Sept) so very quiet - one gets the impression that it's a bit run down, and husband (this is mrs scorcher writing) thinks it's a scruffy island - but hotel is not.  I think well worth trip, lovely views, seeing everything from different angle and v pleasant walk - not at all hilly but vaguely undulating (I suppose "hills" depends on your level of fitness!).  Hotel is not exactly well marked, but island is small so not difficult to find.  You could walk around in flipflops but trainers would be better.  Pity about closure of cafe at jetty - that had a really nice position.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Sovalye
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2011, 11:06:38 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by pookie

well, we've stayed there (Letoonia)!   excellent for some aspects of your holiday but diabolical for others !  Everyone to their own, far too busy for us, over run with russians and the food was very hit and miss.  The view from the end of the peninsula restaurant is stunning at sunset, but in my opinion spoiled by the constant demands and 'loud' voices of the russian guests, who dominated the restaurant trying to impress the 'natashas'.   We like Sovalye, probably wouldn't stay there as we like to be out and about exploring, but nice to visit, wander around and a quiet afternoon.

Obviously Letoonia must have changed in the last few years.  We had wonderful meals, could not fault them and the only Russians there where the entertainers.. It's a shame to read this, but nice to hear a first hand opinion and not one from someone who knew someone who had been there... Glad we bought our place because we can get any number of quiet afternoons there. ;)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Sovalye
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2011, 11:34:47 AM »
JH - whilst I have not been to Letoonia, I have no reason to doubt my brother and sister-in-law and their travelling companions when they said the food was hit or miss, that the standard of accommodation was goor OR when they complained about the location of their rooms, the majority of guests being Russians, the sheer regimentation of the place, the poor transfer arrangements, the poor standard of the entertainment and 14tl for a packet of fags.

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Sovalye
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2011, 13:16:26 PM »
know this thread is about Sovalye, but H I couldn't agree with your friends more.  We asked to change rooms twice - sold as luxury, but luxury it wasn't.  A shame, because it has a fantastic location and the concept certainly was luxury, but it didn't quite pull it off.  

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf