Author Topic: Zakum Restaurant  (Read 5628 times)

Offline Ray1951

Zakum Restaurant
« on: May 22, 2012, 22:33:54 PM »
I have been a regular customer at Zakums and have always enjoyed the food and service there.  However on my first visit of the season today, I was rather taken aback at the service.  Initially the New York waitress was warm & friendly and we enjoyed a laugh with her. She took our orders and appeared very efficient. She set the place mats on the table and took our order. We waited and waited and waited.  During this time we were being treated to Bee Gee's music as a tribute to Robin Gibb who has just passed away. Fab music but too loud.  This was followed by a music quiz. My ayran arrived, more water than yogurt so I asked for it to be replaced, which it was but it was no better. Half an hour later my friend was still waiting for his soup.  When it came, he had to ask for a spoon. Twenty minutes after the soup arrived the main courses arrived but we had no salt, pepper or napkins. The waiting staff were not overly busy in fact the New York lady was able to take a couple of lovely dogs for walkies!  After my meal, I asked for a coca-cola, 20 minutes later, still nothing so my friends reminded the waiter but by this time I didn't want it so told them not to bother. MY friend was now waiting for his pancake.  When it arrived it was barely cooked so it was left.  Arriving at 12.30 and ordering food at 13.00 and not completing a meal until almost 16.00 beggars belief. Don was in the company of several people and we did not want to be rude so we voiced our concerns to the waiter who, we must say has always provided excellent service in the past.  He apologised but we were so disgusted at the service that we shall probably not go back there in the future.  What has happened to the place??????  Sorry Don, you need to be doing something about this

Offline apollo

Zakum Restaurant
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 12:31:46 PM »
I have never eaten there, only a drink, but after one look at the toilets I think that it was a good decision not to eat.

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
Zakum Restaurant
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 15:28:30 PM »
On the day of the Easter Fayre, there was someone behind the counter, serving coffees with a fag hanging out of their mouth ........... nice [:(!] Yes a comment was made & no nothing changed
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 15:29:23 PM by Liz 101 »

Offline Ray1951

Zakum Restaurant
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 16:34:20 PM »
On a Tuesday, the tour operators used to drop their guest up and pick them up from Zakums because of the Tuesday market.  It would appear that at present this is not happening, So many places for people to enjoy good food and service that thy'd better pull their socks up! Another thing I didn't mention was the state of the ladies toilets, not very clean and no toilet paper or soap.  My friend says the gents was similar NOT good.

Offline LeeGlo

Zakum Restaurant
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 20:34:20 PM »
Things have certainly slipped. Last year we went regularly for the Sunday Carvery and the place was packed out, food very good and "help yourself style" which suits me as I'm a Coeliac so need to be careful what I eat.

This year we went earlier in the year with friends and it was now Sunday lunch served ready on the plate, food quality not so good, we thought maybe because it was early in the year.  However we thought we'd give it another try last Sunday, still on the served on the plate job and food quality pretty awful.

We did get good service from our American waiter but maybe that was because we were the only 3 eating out of the 8 or so people there. Such a shame as it's a lovely setting and used to be so good. We won't be going back.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Zakum Restaurant
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 22:26:25 PM »
I sometimes wonder if the attitude to quiet nights is entirely wrong there (Fethiye, I have never been to Zakkum). I would hope that people might think one table as "at least they came or we would be empty tonight"...but I fear the attitude is more "if they hadn't turned up we could have gone home ages ago". I feel that I am right and if I am, I predict many one or two table nights to come, possibly later becoming many completely empty nights. There is nothing worse that eating out and getting the feeling that you are getting in the way of the staff's lives...

Offline amca

Zakum Restaurant
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 22:36:40 PM »
As a frequent user of this restaurant I feel qualified to respond, ...... the kitchen is too small.

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
Zakum Restaurant
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 05:46:43 AM »
But that is no excuse for dirty toilets, waiting 20 mins for a drink, barely cooked food or allowing staff behind a food counter to smoke. Having managed a number of hotels back in the UK, the size of the kitchen is not a consideration, provided the menu is tailored accordingly & the chefs have pre-prepared food in sufficient quantity

Offline Ray1951

Zakum Restaurant
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 07:40:45 AM »
It would seem that Ibo ran the place better than the new guy.

Offline julesbob0303

Zakum Restaurant
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 09:47:39 AM »
We went to the Zakkum one evening during the Easter holidays (in April).  It was completely empty with staff just standing around and not looking particularly interested in whether we were going to stay or not!  We didn't, choosing instead to walk into Fethiye, to a harbourside restaurant which was more expensive but had a great atmosphere, fantastic service and lovely food.  Such a shame as we have been to the Zakkum quite a few times in the past, and the food and service has always been good.  :(

The trouble is, as others have said, there are so many lovely restaurants to choose from - who wants to go back to one with so many bad reports?   :o

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf