Author Topic: Charity donations  (Read 5235 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Charity donations
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2020, 22:17:00 PM »
Yes a local company put a full central heating system in - it was both unheated and quite high up so severely cold in winter. The toilets were awful, everything was pretty grim to be honest. I remember one of the few items for play was the swings - well the metal frame, there were no swings anymore.

I repeat myself on subjects on here, I do realise that   :) but to retell an old story - we decided back then to work with Pete & Chrissie/3Cs not just to raise money (which we did generally and it was used for a variety of good things) - but to identify a specific project which we could concentrate on individually. I forget the specific route but we all ended up with a clear decision - and that was Bozalan. A word I had never even heard in my life before.

Everything felt right about this "CBF Project" so I asked Chrissie to provide a list of what was needed (I still at this stage knew nothing about the school or the state of repair/neglect) but to me it was important that we didn't raise a big lump of money, we listed everything from pencils to televisions - you get the idea. People could donate items or money for the things they felt most important.

When the list came I nearly removed the topic :D It was ridiculous - I tell Chrissie this even now. Pages & pages of things - waste paper bins x 24, 32" TV, 48 sets of felt tips, new roof  ;)  (I'm making this up for effect but again you can picture the enormity I hope) it went on and on and on...

My immediate thought was we should have just asked for donations for stuff as we normally would, better to raise a tidy sum than have an itemised, full project and come up embarrassingly short.

Somehow, with the amazing generosity of CBF members and local businesses, we did it. To this day I am unsure how. The greatest achievement of CBF since we posted a photo of Highlander in his Speedos.

Amazing times, amazing members.

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2020, 22:46:59 PM »
Maybe not quite 100% on topic but don't forget Tom & Misha, a certain well known CBF member had a lot to do with them gaining their freedom.

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2020, 09:37:39 AM »

When the list came I nearly removed the topic :D It was ridiculous - I tell Chrissie this even now. Pages & pages of things - waste paper bins x 24, 32" TV, 48 sets of felt tips, new roof   ;)  (I'm making this up for effect but again you can picture the enormity I hope) it went on and on and on...

Actually, Keith, you're not making up the bit about the new roof, you could see sky through the ceilings of each classroom & the new roof was paid 50% by 3Cs & 50% by a group of Turkish ladies headed by the then mayor's wife. The new roof was completed before the central heating was installed

Offline IanK

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2020, 10:48:47 AM »
How’s this for starters

http://calis-beach.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=46755.msg274864#msg274864

I didn't notice last time, but can't help admiring Scunner's ball control skills in the latter part of that clip    :)  :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2020, 10:54:42 AM »
Mrs Scunner missed my better moves just before that  ;)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2020, 11:15:59 AM »
Here is the topic with the photos of Bozalan before and after etc

http://www.calis-beach.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=46719.0

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2020, 19:27:44 PM »
Very many people, not least scunner and the 3C's, deserve huge credit for an almost unbelievable achievement.

Also due huge thanks were Fethiye Airport Transfers who, despite being very busy at the start of the 2012 season, provided , from memory, 3 mini buses to transport people to and from the school on the day.

Their willingness to help is the main reason we use them when ever we can.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2020, 19:53:30 PM »
I think they provided minibuses later John, to take the kids to the sea (some had never seen it, despite living - in relative terms for Turkey - a stone's throw from it). Their support was fabulous. Tact and diplomacy (for which I am known) prevents me from discussing other transfer companies at that time who went deaf when approached.

If we are doing nostalgic shout outs for Bozalan support, I need to add the unique and wonderful Bekir from Eren Spot - forever a supporter of good causes when called upon. I remember going in and asking Bekir, who was serving someone, for a television. I was in a rush and burst in, interrupting his conversation with his customer. "Sorry to interrupt, but Bekir, I need a television". His response was "which one?". My reply was something like "I don't mind but a 32" one, and I want it for free". Next question from Bekir..."This one?" Deal done in all of three minutes, literally. An amazing guy - always was, always will be.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2020, 20:09:51 PM »
Funnily enough it all came up on my newsfeed this week...Very emotional..

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2020, 20:52:43 PM »
That has to be the best achievement of all CBF time.
The before photos were heartbreaking

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf