Author Topic: Computers  (Read 3362 times)

Offline tytots

Computers
« on: July 08, 2004, 11:28:18 AM »
I didn't look at prices for computers when last in Calis, anyone know prices, or would it be cheaper to bring a laptop from UK. Many thanks. Ty.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Computers
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004, 11:59:50 AM »
We get desktop pc's cheaper here for the same spec, laptops also be do remember that a laptop bought in Turkey will have a Turkish keyboard.

There are heavy duties on this type of product if you ship one, if you really want to bring your PC, it may be better bring the motherboard and hard drive in your holiday luggage and dump the case and monitor & buy here.

Scunner

Offline tytots

Computers
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 12:37:05 PM »
Many thanks for that keith, My PC is very old, not worth anything. So a new one bought in Turkey is just what I wanted to hear. Ty. PS I shall be popping in (with an Effes) to pick your brain!!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 12:44:54 PM by tytots »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Computers
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 12:44:06 PM »
I'd still consider bringing your hard drive, you can run it as a slave unit so you have access to everything you have on your PC at the moment. Also an English keyboard so your "I" and "@" and half a million other keys are where they always were.

Scunner

Offline tytots

Computers
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 13:06:45 PM »
keith, I,m afraid I am an ignoramus as regards computers ie. computer talk. HELP. Elaine

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Computers
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 13:29:07 PM »
No problem, ask someone who knows about computers to take the hard drive out before you scrap it and bring it with you. It can be fitted into your new pc here and you can still have access to all your photo's, documents etc that are on your current pc.

Scunner

Offline glennat

Computers
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 13:37:33 PM »
Ty,

At the back of the PC, where all of the cables are, you will see largish screws.  Undo them and one side of the computer will open (this all depends on make and model).  Inside you will see 5 main things...the motherboard, which is the main circuit board, lots of ribbon cable and three drives.  One of the drives may be made of plastic and is the floppy-drive (smallest of the lot) one is the CD-Rom (this is the thing that is attached to the cup-holder at the front of the computer[:o)]).  
Lastly there is your hard-drive.  It is often silver and black and is about the same size as.....erm....er...a small book !!!
It will be held in place with a few screws.  Undo them.  Then
unattach the ribbon cable and a small power lead from it - hey presto.

Unplug the PC first!

When you open your new computer, you will almost certainly be able to swap the disks over and all that will happen is the operating system will automatically find new hardware and when done, it will look exactly like the one at home.

If you want to be really flash you could install removable disks in both PC's, then you can move your disk back and forth.

HTH

Glen
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 16:03:36 PM by glennat »

Offline tytots

Computers
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2004, 17:08:30 PM »
Thank you very much guys, As all I have of interest to me on PC are my email address's which I can print out & the Calis forum,  I shall start afresh in Calis, with my English key board.  Thanks again Elaine
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 17:10:39 PM by tytots »

Offline Peter

Computers
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2004, 10:31:55 AM »
Elaine,

If your current machine has a CD writer you can copy all the files that you wnat to keep onto CD and this makes transferring them so easy. If you only have a floppy drive the same can be done however it would be very time consuming with large files. Another way of getting the files that you really want to keep out to Turkey would be to mail them to yourself.

Peter

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf