Author Topic: living with your dog in Turkey  (Read 8535 times)

Offline Gina

living with your dog in Turkey
« on: December 04, 2004, 13:30:20 PM »
Has anyone out there any experience of living in Turkey with their pet? I've got loads of info on how to get my beloved there but what now worries me is what happens when I wish to visit old blighty. Are there any dog siters/kennels around and has anyone used their sevices yet. I'm still wondering if taking my dog is a good idea but I would miss her and enjoy our walks together. Is it me being selfish by taking her or should I find her another home.
Gina

Offline number2

• More than just a member
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 13:44:13 PM »
Hi Gina, I don't think it's selfish, it might be selfish not taking her, she might not want to live with anyone else. Take her, she'll soon settle in & what would you want to come back for, let all your family & friends come out to see you, there's not much else left here. Alan

Offline Gina

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 14:02:07 PM »
I agree there's not much to return to but I have 3 children and between them 5 granchildren , no 6 on the way in May 2005.
I know at times we will want to come and pay them a visit like at xmas etc. Its not cheap or easy for a young family to get to Turkey at such times and so we will probably want to visit them instead. Hence my worry about pooch. Both myself and hubby also have our elderly mothers still alive and although they are both fairly fit and active they  have said that they could not contimplate the journey to Turkey on their own.
Gina

Offline xanadu

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2004, 14:09:07 PM »
Gina
if you search this site you will see my "puppies" everywhere.
I have two Siberian huskies, and although I didn't bring them from the UK I am still lumbered with them.
Lots of my friends bought there dogs over and don't regret it.
If you don't then you will feel guilty all the time you are here and that will spoil the move for you .
There are kennels here if you need to go away and I will give you all the advice on the best Vets etc when you get here, or before if you like.
We are lucky that we have a couple of friends who will house sit and look after the dgos when we go away but the kennels are lovely too it's just that I spoil my pair.

Offline Gina

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2004, 14:21:28 PM »
Thanks Xanadu
At least that has put our minds at rest re the kennels. We didn't really want to leave her in England but were worried about her care if we did need to return at anytime, I also didn't want taking her to restrict us visiting our families. As I've already said it is expensive and I think if we want to see our family more often than the probable once a year that they will be able to afford then we will have to make the effort to visit them at times.
Gina

Offline lorna young

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2004, 19:09:49 PM »
Hi Gina, I,m glad you asked that question as I was wandering about what we would do with our dog if we have to go back to UK for visits. I am also worried about how she will cope in Turkey she is a Golden Retriever but I cant bear to leave her. Loads of folk have told me I am mad to be taking her but I think she would be happier coming with us I will just have to get her a good haircut before she goes (scalped) to cope with the heat. Its good to know there are other dog lovers out there might meet you out dog walking one day. Lorna

Offline Gina

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2004, 09:08:58 AM »
hello Lorna
Forgot to mention my dog is a golden Lab. Looks like there could be a few of us with the same problem eh ! Could be that we all get together ,if the dogs get on that is and try to solve it ourselves. Maybe we could set up some sort of dog sitting circle. Our plan is to be out in Turkey by next April but still waiting for our house to sell , when's your plan to move.
Gina

Offline lorna young

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2004, 15:23:05 PM »
Hi Gina
That would be a good idea setting up a dog sitting circle. We will be coming out on 2nd of May, and I cant wait. We have sold our house and after the New Year we will have to start packing up. How did you get on with your dogs flights? we are in Scotland so that means Bonnie(dog) has to go down to Heathrow then on to Istanbul then Dalaman 3 differant flights Im a wee bit concerned that it might be to much for her but the vet assures me she will be fine.
Lorna

Offline Gina

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2004, 15:38:23 PM »
Hi
We live in London so will fly from Gatwick, I will look for the paperwork later as just about to have dinner but I'm sure the company we are going to use flies direct to Dalamn from Gatwick so no need for all those changes. The cost seems a bit steep though about £1000- £1200. We have also been told that an early flight is advisable as the area the dog has to enter Turkey through shuts at about 4-5 in the afternoon ....Hence no dog till next day!!!

Offline Gina

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2004, 15:51:41 PM »
PS
Just had a quick look and the company is called Par Air services . Either you take your dog to them or they collect and will Kennel overnght for about £7.50 , they quoted us £45 for the collection service . Their phone no is 01206 330332 and they are based in Colchester,obviously your collection would be more expensive but they do fly direct to Dalaman bur apparently you have to travel on the same flight or else get an import permit for the dog

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf