Author Topic: Bank accounts  (Read 3630 times)

Offline mike77777777

Bank accounts
« on: January 21, 2011, 11:48:32 AM »
Hi All

What do I need to take with me to open a bank account in Turkey. How much am I allowed to put in it from the UK. Are there limits...
I need an account to set up standing orders for bills etc for an appartment in Fethiye...Any banks recommended and is there a cost to this. How long does it take to open an account and is it possible to set it up before I go..I am assuming the account would be in Turkish Lire..

Thanks Mike

Offline Bim

Bank accounts
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 13:00:53 PM »
hi, im with Fianns Bak Fethiye& theres no limit (that im aware of) - you will need proof of ID,  passport, your tax number & Tapu & not forgetting the money - - mine was setup with 30mins if that. You can open a Lira & a sterling acct. You should also be able to setup standing orders / DDebits... take care & best wishes..

Offline LeeGlo

Bank accounts
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 13:09:58 PM »
Hi Mike. If you own your apartment in Fethiye and have a TAPU, you can take that.
If not then a couple of recent utility bills for your home in UK, also you will need your passports, and a Turkish tax number. You get this from the Tax office, need copies of passports, no charge.

If you plan to send money from the UK you will need a GBP account.
To pay your bills here you will need a lira daily account and if you want to earn some interest you can open a lira time deposit account.

If you want to use internet banking you should ask them to set it up for you and you will need to register a mobile telephone number with your bank. All Turkish banks now use a "one off" texted pin number for internet banking.

We use TEB and Garanti, TEB do not charge for receiving monies into your GBP account from the UK. Garanti bank offer a higher interest rate on time deposit accounts opened online. If you pay at least 2 of your utility bills by DD you probably won't pay bank charges. Otherwise there is a twice yearly charge (about 35TL) per 6 months.

Unfortunately you will not be able to open an account from the UK, you must be here to sign the forms. It will take about half an hour (in the bank) and you do not need to deposit any money at the time of opening the accounts.

Hope that helps, no doubt others will recommend other banks, but we have found that TEB are very good with paying your utility bills etc.

Offline kizkucuk

Bank accounts
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 19:47:00 PM »
Hiya - I use Deniz - passport and tax number - it was very quick - see Yasser or Selda both speak good english.  Took about 30 minutes and they set up internet banking for me.  Only 50000 tl insured as far as I know so worth spreading it between different banks.  You can have a lira and a gbp account.

Offline maximumtom

Bank accounts
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 20:09:12 PM »
When I set up DDs from my TL account, I had to take in a previous bill for each DD; I guess so the bank could  get my account number with Telecom etc.

Offline cathy h

Bank accounts
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 08:53:51 AM »
Do remember to take recent utility bills from the UK if you don't have them from here. Different banks seem to apply the rules differently. HSBC wanted UK utility bills that were no more than 3 months old and wanted at least one in each persons name if it was to be a joint account. That was in September when my friends wanted to open a new account with them.
Cathy

Offline Bubblemax

Bank accounts
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 10:32:51 AM »
What bills can be paid on direct debit?  I currently only pay my electricity charges this way.

Offline posleeds

Bank accounts
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 14:00:41 PM »
I also pay my water to Fethiye Feski & internet & phone connection to TTNET via Ziraat Bank's autopayments.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf