Author Topic: computers and divx dvd players (techie geek talk)  (Read 3362 times)

Offline brownbear

computers and divx dvd players (techie geek talk)
« on: March 08, 2005, 20:08:05 PM »

I have 2 pc's I'd like to take over to Calis when I move out with Dippey.... Now what do you reckon will be the duty as I built them myself all the kit is over 2 yrs old or so. Also, what level of inspection will I get on the kit ? Do I have to show original disks / cd-roms for every piece of software installed. Has anyone had any dealings with this sort of thing..... I have nothing that would be deemed offensive on my pc  :) but I do have a few hundred gig of music files....

Last question... Duty on DVD players is pretty heavy out there - but do they sell DVD players capable of playing DIVX films on dvd +/- r ? Like the philips 762?

Ta very much.

Brown 'Shaggy' Bear

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 22:00:00 PM »
In answer to your question (DVD +/- R). We purchased a DVD player out there in Feb for £30it had no problem playing DIVX and +/- R discs

Purchased from Gima

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 07:24:57 AM »
They have everything here that you can get in the UK. The only downside is that in some cases they don't stock it and it has to be ordered from Istanbul or Izmir. In many instances that is next day delivery.

If I was you I'd just bring the drives in your hand luggage and pick up the rest of the stuff over here.

Offline Sinbad

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 10:59:59 AM »
Should not be a problem in the hand luggage. I had a GPS, VHF, various compasses and loads of different batteries and fittings. Not stopped once.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 08:15:06 AM »
Hello Mr. B. Shaggy Bear

I'm pretty sure I have seen DVD players that play DIVX.

Agree 100% with KKOB, dump your PC and pack your drives. If they ask to see your original disks/packaging for all your software it would only be because they haven't seen original software before  :) this is the land of the fake designer T shirt after all.

Scunner

Offline kim

• Harefield, Middlesex, UK
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 17:49:04 PM »
Hi Brown Bear ,we took one over from UK ,on flight through the fragile hold ,no problems .kim

Offline duffy

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 09:07:36 AM »
Hi,

We brought out two PCs with us last year as part of the general household goods, they were both declared on the itinery, but weren't charged for them. Since then, whilst going back and forth over the last few months, when in UK I built myself a Shuttle, which is a compact PC with all the computing power of a midi-tower. They are compact enough to sit in a carry bag the company produce for that purpose and it travelled as cabin baggage. They are plentiful in the UK and to find the spec log onto: http://www.shuttle.com I can really recommend them as I put an AMD 3Gig CPU in mine and it blazes away, oh yes and it can play DIVX files, put that with a 17" TFT and its just as good as the telly!

As KayaKoyOldBoy said, getting PC parts over here needs a lot of patience. When my tower PC's motherboard & CPU died last winter I trekked around every "PC" (and I use that term lightly over here!)shop in Fethiye  and the answer was always the same "Have to send to Istanbul or Ankara for it, be here tomorrow" when I did eventually order on it took 5 days, should I have been surprised? NO!

If you have any probs with your PC when you arrive give me a shout, I have Microsoft service & repair certification and the latest in PC diagnostics kit, (I'm not adverising myself here Scunner as I don't want paying, well the odd G&T, if offered, would be welcome!) ;)

Duffy:D

Offline brownbear

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 09:34:11 AM »
Duffy... I won't bore everyone here with techo speak... But I have a shuttle and a asis t2, both sff pc's. And a hd full of divx films (which the lovely and rather delicious Dippey (my gf) nags me about....  :)

She has also threatened to toss my pc from a great height either onto hard concrete or the swimming pool....

Offline duffy

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 12:14:39 PM »
Err, my other 'alf's the same! I think the term is "Luddite".

8) Ouch! she was reading over my shoulder!!

Don't suppose you have any DIVX Stargate **files on your HDD? Especially Season 8 X 15 "Citizen Joe". The one I downloaded from Ares is useless and it's getting hard to find any Bit Torrent sites that are still up and running![:(!]

** I tried to use the word epi...e, but because there is the mild swear word "..." (a lump of soil) in it I can't! But I'm sure you know what I mean. ;)

Duffy

Offline Dippey

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 12:43:05 PM »
Dear Duffy,

Brown bear cannot come out to play at the moment as spring has arrived and he needs to cut the lawn, clean the pond, wash my jeep etc.:P

Dippey

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf