Author Topic: Wrestling  (Read 1518 times)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Wrestling
« on: December 11, 2011, 18:48:05 PM »
Hoops man started a very interesting thread on greatest ever boxer.  Well who do you think was the greatest ever wrestler.  No WWE/WWF fakes, only proper Dale martin production wrestlers please ;).  Here are my top five:-

Mick McManus
Jim ' Cry Baby' Breaks
Les Kellet
Adrian Street
The Royal Brothers (two for the price of one as a tag team)

Come on grapple fans it's Saturday afternoon on the world of sports:D:D

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Wrestling
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 19:03:58 PM »
Pat Roach
Giant Haystacks
Big Daddy
Kendo Nagasaki
'Judo' Al Hayes

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
Wrestling
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 19:04:43 PM »
Their "wrestling" was ALL stage managed as well, Bustickets.  :o The only REAL wrestler I went to see was a gentleman by the name of Andy Robbins, he used to appear at The Eldorado Club in Leith, a proper wrestler, none of this mamby pamby "bitch-slapping" going on, real teeth landed on the ring apron, blood & snot everywhere, & all for a purse of between £ 30-£60.
By the way, Andy Robbins was the guy who owned the huge grizzly bear; Hercules, which lived at Andy's pub on the Sherrifmuir road, between my birth-place, Bridge of Allan, & Greenloaning, Perthshire.

Offline usedbustickets

Wrestling
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 19:38:58 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by GordonA

Their "wrestling" was ALL stage managed .... The only REAL wrestler I went to see was a gentleman by the name of Andy Robbins,

Blimey Gordon I hadn't realised that! Are you telling me that a Big Daddy Splash, or Adrian Street's Sleeper or opponents pulling on Mick McManus's ears - his area of weakness - was all phoney, and that it was all show.  You'll be telling me next that there's no Father Christmas, and burst another dream. ;)

By the way is that the same Andy Robbins who used to take his bear to wrestle on Dale Martin wrestling shows .... but even so they do not make my top five, or even ten, which also included Bobby 'Bad Boy' Barnes and Steve Logan, who were also tag partners to Adrian Street and Mick McManus respectively. ;)

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
Wrestling
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 19:54:30 PM »
The very same chappie, Sir. I thought by your initial post, that you were looking for "REAL" wrestlers, not the Mcmanuses/ Barnes's/ & others of that ilk  8). I actually met Mr. Robbins on, I think, 4 separate occasions, a real gentleman outside of the ring, but totally  changed once he stepped through the ropes. If he said Friday was Tuesday, believe me you would agree !! : :) ;)
On the WWF type of clowns, as someone who studied/participated in Body-building for over 20 years, I have great admiration for the hard work & dedication that they put into bring their physique to the pinnacle of perfection , but, in my day, I probably threw harder men out of the way, in order to get INTO a fight !!  ;): :): :): :): :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 19:59:57 PM by GordonA »

Offline BM06

Wrestling
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 20:27:25 PM »
Gordy 30/60 pound was an awful lot of money in the 1920s[?] sounds like fun though ;) :) TV Jacki Pallo for me Oneaaaaaaa Twoaaaaaa Threeeeeaaaaaaa:D

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Wrestling
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 21:02:06 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by GordonA

in my day, I probably threw harder men out of the way, in order to get INTO a fight !!  ;): :): :): :): :)

I just love it when you talk tough Gordy. I go all wibbly wobbly and Mrs KKOB has to sponge me down.  ;)

Offline usedbustickets

Wrestling
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 22:02:30 PM »
I reckon if knew what 'wibbly wobbly' was I'd probably blush :-\

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Wrestling
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 06:29:00 AM »
Catweazle was another

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo