Author Topic: another twist to sgk?  (Read 14032 times)

Offline grizabella

Re: another twist to sgk?
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 19:37:13 PM »
No problem at the airport flying out on the 7th....phew!Passport police seemed more interested in the change in my passport pic from 10 years ago to the present day!!!!Must admit I did have a wee sweat on before I passed through!

Offline hubblebubbles

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 07:50:44 AM »
Glad you had no problems but not surprised about your passport photo......you have lost so much weight its taken years off you. Looking good girl . Enjoy your holiday

Offline grizabella

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 11:19:26 AM »
Thankyou so much but I took his remarks totally the other way!!!!!I'm sure he thought I looked much older.It's all the wild living that's done it I'm afraid!

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
another twist to sgk?
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 12:57:24 PM »
Along with about 250 other people, today I attended a meeting organised by the British Consulate, several topics were discussed, among them SGK. The consulate conceded that in the early days, their understanding was that everybody who had been resident for one year or more was required to register with SGK, whether you intended to join the scheme or not.

He then went on to say that following negotiations early last year that allowed UK citizens to decide whether to join the scheme or not, the rules were further clarified and it seems that if you have registered with SGK, it is likely you are part of the scheme and may well owe a fine plus back payments from to the date you registered.

He then went on to say that the only way to come off the scheme is to either, surrender your residency and leave Turkey, become a citizen,, marry a Turkish National or Die ( the last one seems the easiest )

He did warn that once unpaid back payments reached a certain level, it was likely that the authorities would pursue you and this would include computerised notifications to customs officers at the borders.

He also clarified the rules where some had reported being charged large amounts of back payments when first joining the scheme, he went on to explain that you should join the SGK within a month of the first anniversary from obtaining residency, if you fail to do this and leave it for example 18 months, you could be charged six months back payment, I use the word 'could' as he pointed out that sometimes the clerk processing you may take a more lenient approach.

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 13:44:04 PM »
Some friends of ours registered when they thought they HAD no choice but have never paid anything as they didn't really want to join. They went to the UK and back to Turkey over this Christmas and didn't mention that they had any problems at exit/entry points.

Thank you RIMMS for that most enlightening update - doesn't seem that the Consulate have made much progress in clarifying anything with regard to SGK and everyone is STILL at the mercy of the "mood on the day" of the person who deals with them - no change there then just "as normal" for Turkey. 

BTW RIMMS my tongue in cheek remarks were intended in respect of the Consulate not your post.

Offline angela

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 14:03:09 PM »
What exactly are the benefits of the scheme (or should I say scam??)

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
another twist to sgk?
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 14:55:18 PM »
The benefits, as I understand them are having health insurance at a fairly significant level of cover as opposed to having no health insurance, unless of course you have arranged this separately.

Offline angela

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 15:01:12 PM »
so for things like hip replacement you would be covered under this scheme then?

Offline apollo

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 15:03:23 PM »
The benefits, as I understand them are having health insurance at a fairly significant level of cover as opposed to having no health insurance, unless of course you have arranged this separately.

Precisely!

It is not a scam . It is a very effective State Health Insurance.

Offline angela

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 15:16:01 PM »
I have seen lots of posts about people not wishing to be part of it I was wondering what the snags were, if any, and whether you would choose that option over a private health policy

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf