Author Topic: statins  (Read 6604 times)

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Re: statins
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 20:42:13 PM »
thanks so much again for the replies,Marggie that is far cheaper then a script in the Uk so will defo try and get stocked up.  Nichola I have started on my two apples a day since I saw your link on fb, I just wash and cut two up into slices and take them into work with me, I shall look at your other link and see if I gain anything from it and Dutchie I shall also try the apple vinegar is that a product you can buy at the supermarkets in Turkey? My level is currently at 7.78 despite trying since May to get it down from 7.2 without statins it just seems to go up and up :(

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 12:40:27 PM »
Kuhne elma sirkesi can be bougt at the bigger supermarkets (Migros, Kipa, Tansas).

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 23:16:49 PM »
just to let know any expats that are on Statins the cheap type no longer seem to be available to buy in Turkey the new type are 22tl a box not much cheaper then an NHS prescription in the Uk.....

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 12:04:27 PM »
So much in the press lately about Statins and mixed information.  This is an interesting article
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9893580/Mediterranean-diet-as-good-as-statins.html

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 17:24:06 PM »
That is really interesting Jacqui I believe that about the diet and think I could probably be statin free if we were in Turkey for longer periods!! I have been really lucky in not getting the muscle cramps and my first blood test since being prescribed stations statins even!! showed my chloesterol had come down from 7 something to either 4 or 5 just a little gutted that I can not buy the cheaper ones in Turkey anymore I am only allowed two months worth at a time in the UK...   

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 17:33:50 PM »
Karinnina, Think you will have to move to Scotland and get your presciptions free.. ;D   ;)
In the meantime, that's good news about your chloesterol and if you have no side effects all the better. 8)
I always think you cannot put a price on health so worth buying them if they are doing you good.   ;)                         

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 18:40:22 PM »
Ha that would be great Jacqui  :)yes I was really pleased to find my level had dropped.. On our recent trip to Turkey I bought the apple vinegar that the lady whose husband is a doctor and it is really nice I have had it on salads but reckon i could probably drink it, so we will be stocking up on that each trip to Turkey now  :)

Offline Marggie

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2014, 08:46:10 AM »
Hi Karen, thought you might like to know that the cheap Simvastatin is available again in Fethiye.  Rich's medication was about to run out and I went into the chemist opposite Migros, got ZoCor 10 mg Simvastation for 5.22 tl.

Also a friend who visited lost all her medication in Manchester Airport and we were able to get everything she needed from there including a higher strength Simvastatin.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2014, 21:25:24 PM »
Thanks for the info Marggie... Have any members who take statins seen the news today about these meds, I dont think I am going to continue on my mine... On the article I read it said eating one apple a day can have the same benefits as taking statins without obviously any side effects... I do remember Nichola  and also a member whose husband is a gp also saying this... From tomorrow I think I am going to go shopping for apples  ;)

Offline Fran

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2014, 09:04:53 AM »
Hi Karennia, I have been on statins for a few years now. High cholesterol runs in the family. My brother died from a heart attack at 50 years of age. I have not suffered any side effects, and would not stop taking them without consulting with my GP. Might try apples and see if it brings my levels down further that statins alone.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf