Author Topic: RE high priced thompson exclusive hotels in calis will put clients off calis  (Read 9314 times)

Offline blueclad

Ive tried to book direct with the Oykun hotel for friends of ours for 2 weeks in june  but all their direct booking rooms are full up , so i looked at Thompson prices who are exclusive to the hotel next year and had rooms free  what a fright i had £1,605  for 2 persons  B/B from gatwick with hold bags seats together & transfers .We have booked direct with the Oykun & with transfer / monarch day flights, seats together& hold bags 18 nights for under £850 total ,
I looked at the Mutlu and Club E [ both are thompson exclusive ) they were even more, so lastly i looked at the Gunnes hotel not a thompson exclusive well another shock awaited me,  ,
Thompson were [ with sea view room ] £1250.
Monarch    were    with sea view room  £1150.
Easy jet     were    with sea view room  £995.
Hayes travel were with sea view room   £875 on the same Easy jet flight  our friends booked this very good price,and location is brill as they cant walk very far
i know there are lots of calis hotels even cheaper but by shopping around quite good deals can be found.

it will be a great shame for Calis traders if Thompson exclusive hotel prices put people off from visiting this brill location and hope they shop around to get far cheaper deals as they are out there.
Rant over.
Ron

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
blueclad - can you recall what the price of hold bags, seats together and transfers.

I didn't go all the way through the process but the Oykun from Glasgow it was £ 1,108.

Offline Ray1951

The Remer has also decided to go all inclusive next year, and their prices are very expensive. Considering  they really do not have the faciliteis that most all inclusive hotels have, I think they will struggle.  Once you add flights to the cost of the hotel, the price is over a thousand pounds per person for two weeks in May.  Big changes ahead me thinks.

Offline turkeysue

omg ...what is going on..!!.the oykun is very good...but NOT at those prices...hey ho we wont be going back there any time soon....we booked grand hotel vizon 2weeks in  september next year..hotel transfers good flight times baggage etc just under £800 for the two of us...big mistake in my opinion the oykun getting so tied up with thompson... : :) :( :( >:(

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
It's the kiss of death IMHO. Watched it happen in Halkidiki. Thomsons (and all the their subsiduries) took over, put hotes/holiday  costs through the roof despite paying the hoteliers a pittance for their rooms. Eventually hoteliers rebelled and virtually cut 95% of bookings to holiday companies offering hols to us Brits, and the resorts are now full of Russians and people from the Eastern Bloc. Knock on effect now is that you can hardly get a holiday flight there now unless you go to Manchester or London. Until recent years, you could get flights to Thessalonika from all the regional airports too. Would hate to see Calis hotels getting duped like this.
 :( :(

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Well it's different to that - the Oykun, Club-e and Mutlu are in a very short list of Calis hotels who CAN'T be bullied by the likes of Thomson, and both sides know it. All three have achieved great success and won't be accepting the ridiculous £3 or £4 a night other hoteliers are offered.

I think what we are seeing is those who can fill their rooms unaided getting a good deal from Thomson, and Thomson adding their sizeable profit on top. If anything it might be good for Calis - Thomson brochures give a certain sector of holidaymakers confidence in places they may not have tried or even heard of before.

Many CBF members will recall Thomson pulling out of Calis entirely due to the idiotic in-season dig the town's roads up episode - that took years to get over. There's nothing wrong with hotels who do it right reaping the rewards for the years it took - and there will always be the budget hotels for the rest of us  ;)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
"Many CBF members will recall Thomson pulling out of Calis entirely due to the idiotic in-season dig the town's roads up episode"

Couldn't agree more - saw it first hand one year.

I do wonder what Thomson are charging for an "Oykun" in Tunisia, Corfu or anywhere else.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
I've long been saying that Calis is not an economy destination anymore - the flights are not cheap, beer and spirits are not cheap, food is not cheap, car hire is not cheap. The days of not being able to spend all this money are long gone. It's not entirely a bad thing - Marbella was cheap once and it is hardly scratching around for visitors now.

The point is, the only thing that still comes in cheap is the accommodation - and that is likely to be next. If Turkey thinks it's future is as an established budget destination, it will have problems ahead.

Offline blueclad

Highlander re your asking,
the seats together price was £34 hold bags / transfers F O C  [ on the thompson prices].
i noted yesterday evening Thompson prices had a bigger on line discount of £138 [ it was less on saturday].
PLUS they dropped the on line price by £98 p/ p ..
Re glasgow well it was  cheaper on a monday  daytime flight than it is on a monday gatwick day flight better for you up north  :D. £1,235 for 2 persons yesterday [june 3rd ]
i understand from Oykun Ozec that Thomson are exclusive next year [ I E  no other tour companys / agents ] are due to let down by several tour companys,  cancelled reservations by jewel in the crown,  co op travel ,and monarch holidays  in particular,, and that Thompson have block booked  60 rooms/ appartments out of the 85 that the hotel has in total for the next   2 yrs, its thompson gold for the past 6 yrs by the way
The price for ROOMS in June has gone up to £23 per night per room  B/B with free aircon for direct bookings with the hotel , BUT we  and  6 other regular  couples  who we see each june rate is £20 per room per night  B/B..
even if  , and its a Big IF Thompsons pay the hotel £23 per room  it would only be  £ 322 per room for 14 nights add the cost of flights say £550= £872  there would be a  big profit for thomson

Offline Ray1951

Two of my friends stayed at the Mutlu in August this year.  They enjoyed it so much they said they would return.  They were advised to book immediately on their return as it is very popular.  It cost them £1300 for the last two weeks in Aug 2013, for both of them.  I tried booking a single room and they wanted £850!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf