Author Topic: Deceptive Store Pricing and Sales  (Read 1111 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Deceptive Store Pricing and Sales
« on: September 24, 2013, 17:32:14 PM »
It really annoys me how the big retailers manipulate prices to make special offers look more special than they are. I always buy a certain wine when it is £4.99, which is often. It is 'generally' £6.99, but I know when it is soon to me £4.99 because the price goes up to £9.99! Then, a yellow "half price" £9.99 £4.99 shelf label appears. How is that even legal?

This one takes the mick - one of the girls liked a pair of boots in Matalan at £20. Steph had a £5 off voucher thus making them £15. Alas they didn't have the size and with the voucher close to expiring Steph said she'd order them online. The sales assistant pointed out that the £5 voucher was in store only, but she had £10 off vouchers, starting the next day, for online sales only. Even better!

No The £20 boots became £35 boots on the very morning the £10 voucher became vaild. It's simply not right.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
Re: Deceptive Store Pricing and Sales
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 18:11:08 PM »
Phone call to local Trading Standards Office. ?????

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 18:19:16 PM »
Same as flights go up the day before they have a big sale.

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 11:35:39 AM »
Once we had a system where people sold you things and it was all very clear, then the Americans gave us "Marketing" whereby you were economical with the truth and used such words as "up to" or "from" where you could put any silly price or offer there but legally didn't have to actually supply it. Perhaps the best ever was the really cheap Aer Lingus Dublin return where it transpired they had "one seat" at that price to make it "legal".

Sigh, the best is of course Broadband, hardly anyone really understands it, and everyone thinks they are getting what they are not! (I recently published an article explaining exactly what you really get --- expecting the hit squad any day -- heyyyy! "Good honest broadband from Yorkshire" --- look who really owns that Company --- well Ill be dammned --- BT!)

I do exactly the same, I know what wine I want, and I wait and watch it go up --- then down on "offer" and that is the only time I buy it.

Just in case you don't know --- best place to buy a lot of things, particularly expensive items like new televisions, is John Lewis as not only do they price match but on many items you get a full 5 year Warranty underwritten by John Lewis, so take the price form xxxx them see what extra they will charge you on extended warranty, and if Lewis sell it -- overall it will be much less! (I'm not that clever -- my neighbour told me about it!)

I do get annoyed at deceptive pricing, it is yet more of the "what we will say is" dishonesty of our times! We confuse barely legal with honest!

Arthur Daley

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 12:01:32 PM »
John Lewis is great; they match any price too so are always the cheapest place to buy. Great company; it is owned by a trust on behalf of all its employees — known as Partners – who have a say in the running of the business and receive a share of annual profits, which is usually a significant addition to their salary.

Please post your article John on Broadband I am sure it will make interesting reading   :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf