Author Topic: Hotel Oykun - A Bit of a Review  (Read 3517 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Hotel Oykun - A Bit of a Review
« on: October 30, 2013, 22:29:27 PM »
When we booked our flights for the girl's birthday week I had no idea where we would stay but I wanted to add to the list of Calis hotels we'd stayed at, and also we are a bit past 4 beds in one room for a holiday. I decided to check out the Oykun - I have picked up numerous people from there, knew it was well thought of, but really didn't know anything about it. Also it has one bedroom apartments which was ideal.

We enjoy hotel holidays now, probably because for years we didn't have them - we used to go to 'our place' and that always meant Steph feeling the need to mop everything and wash kitchen cupboards. Then cooking breakfast etc. - so we like our own space these days but a bit more company and banter, and just heading down for breakfast or coffee. They are amazing, you go out and when you get back your room has been cleaned   ;)

The hotel is 3* and we found it to be exactly that - everything you need is there, without any frills - it doesn't pretend to be more than a 3* and that is just fine. The apartments we were in are on the top floor of the 'new' block - spacious, adequate, most needs catered for. Lovely big balcony and as you are on the 4th floor, sea and island views. Not extensive, but views all the same.

Quite unexpected and very pleasant - especially when enjoying a loosener before venturing out.

The downside I suppose is that when you are on the 4th floor in a 3* hotel, there is no lift and boy is it a workout getting up to the apartment, especially on the hot days    :) But even that seemed worth it and almost a bit of exercise to counter the excesses of holidaying.

There are two pools, in October they are known as the quiet pool and the quiet pool. A very friendly clientele - some the backbone of Calis Beach, the "same hotel, same week, same room" brigade we have met in so many other places like the Carretta and Mutlu. And they are absolutely insistent that they cannot find, and would not risk trying to find, anything in Calis or Turkey or the World that could ever give them whatever it is they get, for what they pay, at the Oykun. The girls even received birthday cards and presents from hotel guests.

One thing I learned about Calis this time (yes I'm still learning    ;) ) is that we all know the great chefs, barmen and waiters on the prom, but there is also a silent bank of talent inside these hotels. Freddy the barman is a character, and whoever the chef is I do not know but I am sure he has never been mentioned on CBF. If you don't stay at the Oykun you'd never give him a thought - and I never have. But we had lunch at the hotel a couple of times and the food was absolutely fabulous - I was amazed at the quality.

Everyone is cheery, the receptionist (Goldie) is a real star, always there to help, to talk or to smile. When we were getting picked up to return to the airport, she carried suitcases out while insisting we got on the bus "You are still on holiday" she told us. Then in a final touch that the girls thought was wonderful, once the driver had loaded up and got back in, there was Goldie, still outside, standing on the steps to wave us off. A tiny thing but so appreciated by the kids.

I'm never going to join the same hotel/same week/same room folks, there's too much to see in this World - but if we came as a family to Calis again, I would seriously consider the Oykun again and probably would want to stay there.

Only if we could have "our room" again though    :)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Re: Hotel Oykun - A Bit of a Review
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 22:58:17 PM »
We stayed in the Oykun in June and would agree wholeheartedly with your plaudits.

Brenda was not at all well at the time but we were fortune enough to have a very good friend who managed to secure us a ground floor room 32 paces from the pool and 42 paces to the bar where the excellent Freddie and all of the other staff were naturally friendly.

That made a huge difference - never mind Brenda, I would never have made it up to the 4th floor. :(

Other than the Nevada, we had only ever stayed at Letoon which was, and always will be, a very special place to us.

But the Oykun Hotel is an excellent place to stay and, as scunner says, it does what it says on the tin.

Recommended.

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 23:43:59 PM »
Our first ever holiday in Calis was to the Oykun. We loved it but found it too hot around the pool. We enjoyed a game or 3 of bowls, drinks around the fire pit at the pool area, and of course the location. We would certainly return there again and like Scunner, would try the apts next time. We viewed them and I liked the extra space in them.

Offline sunlover

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 09:10:22 AM »
Our daughter stayed there 8 years ago on our first visit to Calis she had the apartments which were lovely, we have thought at times about renting them but seem to only be able to find the basic rooms when we try on numerous websites.

What websites can you get the apartments on for rental?

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 09:20:09 AM »
We recommend it to wedding guests last year.  My Brother and Sister in Law enjoyed it, but my Daughter in Law's friend had a very rough ride from the management as I reported before. >:( :o  I also was not too pleased with them one evening.   However, I would still recommend this Hotel as it does seem to tick a lot of boxes and is very popular with many people who return year after year.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 23:07:16 PM »

What websites can you get the apartments on for rental?

They are only with Thomson I think these days sunlover. Just contact Oykun the owner's son via their website and tell him you want to book an apartment direct. Website is

http://www.oykunhotel.com/eng/

Tell him you read about it on Calis Beach Forum  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf