Author Topic: Free Delivery except if you live in Scotland, Ireland or Wales  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
I really don't know how a company can advertise Free Delivery and not offer it if you don't live in England.
I was looking at playhouses for my Granddaughter.  Looked at a website that tells us they are the biggest is the U.K. for Garden items and offer free postage.
I looked at a playhouse for £249.00 noted they offer different colours at a charge, then noted the colours offered are sent by way of a tin of paint with your order :o  However, moved on and put in my postcode then I was told it was an extra £149.00 to send the item...
Time for this company to stop saying Free Postage.  :o >:( :(
http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/Wooden-Playhouses/Mad-Dash-Bunny-Tower-Playhouse?oid=18078&gclid=COvf0ZbEwb0CFWjKtAodMSUA4g

Offline Aaitken11

Re: Free Delivery except if you live in Scotland, Ireland or Wales
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 11:46:11 AM »
Was looking at this for my granddaughter. Tesco direct have it at the same price.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 12:03:50 PM »
It's the * next to the offer of free delivery that gets them out of jail.

Anyway I've used this company in the past for garden furniture and they are very poor to deal with. Chair came broken and it took weeks to get a replacement.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 12:38:06 PM »
Thanks for that Stoop.   
I recently ordered three pieces of furniture from a company in Newquay, England.  It arrived the next week on a pallet and delivered to my door.  Beautifully packed in cardboard boxes inside the furniture all had been fitted with large pieces of polystyrene  I did a lot of packing for my business and have to say this was some of the best I have seen.  Furniture all arrived in great condition.  The charge for this service was £45.00.  I was so impressed I ordered another piece.
If a small furniture company can deliver to Scotland for such a reasonable charge, why can't a big company like this one?
Also thanks for the tip about Tesco Aatiken . :D

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 13:41:33 PM »
I've recently purchased a new bed and it was free delivery. The driver had driven from Manchester! So I now want to order one for my daughter who lives in Spean Bridge just outside Fort William. As her postcode was an exception to free delievery, I contacted them to ask what they'd charge to deliever it to her. I was pleasantly surprised that they offered to deliver it for £25. Well pleased with that!  :)

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 14:09:34 PM »
If Alex Salmond gets his evil way, Border Control will stick another £50.00 or so on top of the transport cost !    :)

A delivery to God's Country from South of the Border almost always incurs an overnight stop for the driver, unless the vehicle is "double crewed ", when 2 wages come into the calculation,  ( you cannot win !!), a loss to the haulage company of that vehicle for a day, not to mention the fuel cost involved, speaking as one who has been involved in the Traffic Office of one of the largest logistics companies in U.K.

In my own not so humble opinion, and experience, there is no such thing as "free delivery". The cost of delivery is factored into the cost of whatever is being transported. Proof? Offer to collect the item yourself next time, and just see how much you can have "knocked off " of the, supposedly, " free delivery " price !! Personal experience speaking, I point blank refuse to pay extra for delivery, and have never lost out yet !

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 22:16:09 PM »
The furniture I had delivered, was first taken to Birmingham by an English Transport Company and then it was loaded onto another lorry belonging to a Scottish Transport Company.  I have been told this is done more often now... It saves long journeys and does seem a better idea.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 23:04:52 PM »
Yes it is very irritating - big companies like ebuyer deliver free apart from to "Scottish Highlands & Islands" and I think also Northern Ireland. We live 40 minutes north of Edinburgh, certainly not in the Scottish Highlands and I'm pretty sure it's not an island, but we are classed as such and charged a delivery fee.

Well we would be, except I don't buy anything from them now, ever.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 10:08:47 AM »
I brought this matter of postage/delivery to Scotland from England to Alex Salmond.  Of course he was really annoyed and in the first instance wrote to the P.O. as they class us (who are 25 miles north of Aberdeen) as being in the Highlands.   It's a long story, but as you may guess, nothing happened.  He always shows a lot of bluster and writes a letter and then the bluster fizzles out and he moves on to something more appropriate where he can get his face on T.V. or in the press. >:(

Well tried Tesco, it has on their site for this item "Free Delivery",  I clicked in to buy and was told this item cannot be delivered, choose another item... :o >:(

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 13:02:19 PM »
The furniture I had delivered, was first taken to Birmingham by an English Transport Company and then it was loaded onto another lorry belonging to a Scottish Transport Company.  I have been told this is done more often now... It saves long journeys and does seem a better idea.

All very well, but more chance of the goods getting damaged or lost in transit. Have you tried chasing a parcel through modern tracking systems recently ?

It's nothing new though. In the days before Mr Beeching, it's how the freight on the railways used to operate and then the goods were transhipped onto the road for final delivery. But that was when people really cared about giving a good service.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf