Author Topic: Istanbul restaurant  (Read 14697 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: Istanbul restaurant
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2014, 18:40:55 PM »
There were no children when we attended this venue on two occasions, one year apart.  So, how would I know that children were allowed??  I naturally assumed it was an adults only venue which is why I gave this advice in all innocence.  I wonder why such an innocent remark would call for such a vicious assessment of me?   I find it sad, but totally predictable that you judge this selfish and discriminatory.   

IMHO  and I hope I am allowed one.  This place is an adult night out.  However, I am a caring parent and grandparent and would not take children to a venue at 6.30pm in the evening, where people are eating and then listening to a very good pair of musicians, and expect the children to sit quietly, or perhaps let them run around and go and explore the swimming pool.  I would not then want them to be taken home and be put to bed at 2.00am in the morning.   I would firstly think my children should be tucked up in bed and secondly and perhaps more important I would not want to spoilt the evening for adults at the venue if my children got tired fractious or noisy... in fact if they just behaved as children do late at night when all they want is their beds.   
Perhaps more selfishly, I want an adult night out with my husband, which is what we got twice in the Istanbul.   I don't want children running around or babies sleeping under blankets. 

I did my time as a parent when my children were young, and would have never taking them out late at night when we were on holiday.  We ate early with them and then put them to bed and usually sat in our apartment wherever we were at in the U.K. or abroad. As responsible parents we put them and their needs first.  So, I have served my time and now want to enjoy my nights out, child free.

I note Sadler that you say if children are out of parental control, in a restaurant you would walk out.  I want you to tell me how you would do this at the Istanbul please??   As everyone who is eating there is picked up by bus!  If children were  running around you would have to lump it or get a taxi.  Or perhaps complain to the parents and tell them to get a taxi?

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2014, 19:21:39 PM »
Jacqui, I agree with you 100%

I love kids and there are loads of kid friendly things to do around here and places to go, the Istanbul with a great singer and saxophonist ain't one of them.

Offline sadler

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2014, 19:35:05 PM »
If this venue were not advertised as "an adult only " occasion then one would presume that cliental of all ages were welcome and not prohibited at the behest of one particular diner. You seem to have taken my remarks as personal Jacqui, but they are not however I find your attitude to fellow holiday makers quite over bearing.  I have been at venues where children have been a bit of a menance, but have never had the arrogance to assume that my attendance was more important than their's. Have you given Saga holidays a thought?

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2014, 19:54:40 PM »
Jacqui.

I admire your restraint.   I also agree with you.

Offline snowtop

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2014, 22:02:37 PM »
I think this topic is going the wrong way,  this is a holiday area and in this modern day ( although we may not agree with it), Restaurants are a place to take the family for  an evening meal.
In the era I come from which is 1940's, children were taught to be seen and not heard, this is a bit over the top in this "Modern Society" but we didn't seem to have the social problems we now have.
If a child is NOT running about and screaming at the top of his/her voice I do not have a problem.  It is those parents who tell the child to shut up and sit down and the child more or less says "Up yours I will do what I want" that P****s me off.
Parents are supposed to give guidance to children for their future in adulthood.
You only have to read the papers to see where a lot of parents lack the skills they need to bring up their offspring to fit in with the main stream society.
I now get off my soapbox and wait for the re-action of those people without the skills required to raise children in a manner where they respect, foremost themselves, their family and the rest of the human race.

Ps I can ramble on at times.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2014, 22:24:14 PM »
When we moved to Scotland our girls were 8 and had grown up for the greater proportion of their lives in Turkey. Believe it or not they were the first to complain if kids started running around in the cinema, or in a restaurant! But in Turkey it was fairly normal that after the meal there would be kids running around having fun - which is why we take them on holiday surely? It's a lot different having kids running around a large, outside restaurant once everyone has eaten, it's nothing at all like them doing it inside a British pub restaurant.

I don't know the restaurant in question, but what sort of evening out do people think families should have? Out, eat, pay, home?

Not much of a holiday that.

Offline snowtop

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2014, 08:39:11 AM »
What a difference in the opinions, (in this respect) between Senior citizens, (that's me) and non- Senior citizens, (under 65's).
I think we seniors, in general, prefer the quite peaceful life after being there, done that, had the tantrums, squeals etc, and had a similar attitude to life as the non seniors,(in general) do.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2014, 09:16:14 AM »
I think it's fine to bring children to restaurants in the evening and there is no problem.
I have seen children at Calis restaurants and in Fethiye  The good thing is, you can get up and take the kids for a walk, a wander around the shops, back to the accommodation etc.,
The key here is Scunner, you have not been to the Istanbul. So don't have any ideal of the layout.  It is an open air restaurant but the space is used well and filled so no open areas.
  Firstly, you get picked up by coach (around 6.30pm) and are take out there.  Once dropped off, this restaurant fronts right onto the main road and sits on a S bend in the road.  The stage with the musicians, sits in front of the main road, so not possible to play there.  The back, where the toilets are has a swimming pool, which has no cover or railings and then chalets which are rentals.   So, there is nowhere a child could run and play safely.  Once there you cannot pick yourself up and go anywhere else, basically you are there until the coach comes back to pick you up around 12.15-12.30am.   

Snowtop,  I think you are right.  When you have had your family and then once again have the freedom to go out and enjoy yourselves, without worrying about the children, you revert back to the time when you did not have kids and you realise what fun adults nights out are. 

Offline scorcher

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2014, 10:20:10 AM »
Never been one to favour coach trips myself with or without the grandchildren. Each to their own I say. ;D

Offline Susiepink

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2014, 10:37:05 AM »
I too, being in the more senior category, prefer to not have other peoples children running around, screaming and generally being obnoxious. So, you can shoot me down in flames too if you like !  I brought up two daughters single handed, and when on holiday if I used to take them out they used to have to behave, otherwise I took them home to bed, simple. The problem is these days some parents turn a blind eye when their kids are running around like lunatics and spoiling it for everyone else. I'm sure yours were well behaved Scunner, and I'm sure many other people on here who are getting uptight about some of the more general remarks kept their children under control too. But, I have been to places where the kids have been totally out of control, and the parents haven't batted an eyelid, and that's what makes my blood boil. I would like to see more 'adult only' restaurants, at least then we have a choice, and can guarantee a quiet relaxing evening. Until then, it's purely chance when planning a night out whether or not it's going to be ruined by someone's unruly kids !

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf