Author Topic: The Best League in the World  (Read 1559 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
The Best League in the World
« on: March 18, 2015, 22:26:25 PM »
Given the results in the Champions League, by which criteria, if any, can the English Premier League justifiably be called "the best league in the world.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: The Best League in the World
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 22:28:54 PM »
Problem is, as I see it.  British clubs need to bring on British talent and not just buy foreign players who only come for the money and have no feelings for the club they are playing for. 
Tonight only two players for M.C. were British,

Offline kawasakikid

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 06:27:53 AM »
It's called the English Premier League.  But, is it English anymore? It seems the only "English" part about it is that the games are played in England. The league is currently dominated by foreign owned clubs, who employ foreign managers with the vast majority of their line up being foreign players.

As Jacqui has said, only two City players in their starting line up were from England.  In fact, currently in the whole of the premier league, there is only 32.2% who are English.  Compare and contrast with the 1991/1992 season when there were just eleven (yes, 11) players in the top flight.  Has all the home grown talent just evaporated or is still there hidden in the lower leagues?  If it still there, what is being done to bring it through to the Premier League?

What has caused this complete turnaround? Money has a great deal to do with it.  A total of 3 billion pounds is being paid to televise the premiership in the period 2013 to 2016.  This means that every club now receives £60 million a year from this revenue source alone.  The need and the desire to nurture up and coming home grown players has gone, because it much easier and simpler to buy the foreign players as and when needed.  It is the same with the managers.

This all means that the pool of quality players available for the England squad is fast diminishing.  England will never ever, get anywhere near winning the world cup as we stand.  So the simple question is, what do people really want? Is it quality club football or a quality national side?  Although English teams have not fared too well this season (apart from Everton), overall they have had a good record in Europe for a while now.

So take your choice, you can never have both.

Offline davybill

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 09:00:22 AM »
Well I suppose its great , when you compare it with the Scottish league,
And its great till they play out of it in Europe.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 14:13:52 PM »
Loads of foreigners play in the Scottish leagues too.  Don't for a minute think that all the players are Scots because they are not.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 19:45:43 PM »
Most exciting to watch and probably the most watched world-wide but it obvioulsy dosn't have the top teams at the moment.

Wait until Leeds get back ;-)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 17:40:37 PM »
Watching Fletch and Sav this morning and hearing that M.C. have not brought anyone from their up and coming youngsters to the first team for a year, their coach was saying there were some great players and they are trying to get them into the team but it is difficult to do.
I think this is totally the problem now, buy expensive Foreign players who put up the wages bill, then you have to charge more for the fans to get into a match and you cannot bring the young British talent into the team. I am not just talking about one British team here either. >:( :(

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 14:36:23 PM »
I think it is probably the best league to watch in terms of excitement and style of play; the number of real competitive games in comparison with other national leagues; and where an upset is possible at all levels of the premier league.  The most competitive league, IMHO, is the English Championship, look at the different clubs - many of whom are big clubs with real football pedigree - challenging for promotion, and also fighting relegation.

And don't get me started on the club vs country argument, and the damage that the Premiership clubs have done to the development of English talent.  Always preferring to buy 'developed' (usually foreign) player over English youngsters needing development and game time at the highest level.  And given the role that the English League has had in the development of the players from other Home Nations (as we all used to be called) and the Republic of Ireland team.  So too have their national teams suffered.

All made worse by some club supporters telling everyone that their club was more important than the national game.  I heard this some years ago from Liverpool supporters, then from Manchester United supporters and to their shame I also heard it it from Arsenal Supporters.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf