Author Topic: 1940,s vintage clothing  (Read 2587 times)

Offline sunlover

1940,s vintage clothing
« on: May 05, 2015, 18:02:22 PM »
Might seem a strange question but does anyone know if there are any shops in the area that sell 1940,s clothing?

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: 1940,s vintage clothing
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 20:03:28 PM »
Don't think you will get any in Calis, unless you are asking for traditional Turkish clothing.  There are plenty of places in the U.K. for British items,  but, the 1940's is a very sort after area for clothes and they are not cheap.  I have a few things that belonged to my Mother and I know I could sell them in a flash.     

Offline sunlover

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 16:00:04 PM »
Just a long shot Jacquie, as we are off to Calis next week and have just a week ago been given an invite to a wedding in UK, thats 40,s style, so not got much time at all to find anything..

Plenty on the internet but dont want it arriving while we are away, as may not fit, and returning could be a problem..

The hunt continues, but not much around where we live

Offline Lotty

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 16:27:57 PM »
Have you tried this sun lover? http://www.vintagedancer.com/1940s/

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 17:06:23 PM »
charity shops maybe Carol?

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 17:17:28 PM »
Sunlover,  Have a look and see if you have a Vintage clothes shop near you and go along yourself.  I would suggest you also go and ask in your local Charity Shops, because if they get these sort of clothes, they generally send them to Auction. If you have a local Auction room ask them too.
I would tell you that the women of the 1940's in generally, where a different shape to the women of the 2000's, women had hour glass figures.   My Mother's 1942 Wedding dress has a 20 inch waist.   I used to sell on any clothing I got through my business, so I know how tiny some of the clothes of  this era are.  I do have a 40's ermine stole, but I think it may be a bit hot for that in Calis.
The good news is, the Forties era is very fashionable now and a lot of the shops on the High Street sell 40's style clothing.  Perhaps a floral dress add a belt and get a trilby style hat felt hat and a envelope bag to put under your arm and add a corsage to it.?  There are also lots of 40's style shoes in the shops just now.  I bought a floral pair from Rocket Dog and I love them. 

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 19:48:10 PM »
Jacqui, re, your mink stole, the wedding is NOT in Calis, but in the U.K. after " Sunlovers' Turkish holiday !!

Offline sunlover

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 20:31:38 PM »
Have tried most charity shops here Anne, am going to another town nearby tomorrow where they have a very elderly community, so might be lucky there..

Also i have heard Sainsbury,s have some dresses the style i am looking for, so off there as well tomorrow to look.

Offline sunlover

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 20:33:45 PM »
Lotty, yes i have seen that site, but as we ar going to be away, idont want to risk ordering from outside the UK at this late stage.

Offline patrice

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 22:28:15 PM »
I think Jacqui came up with some good ideas .When I read Jacqui's post a few outfits came to mind that I had send on the High Street recently that could look the part.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf