Author Topic: "HOT PLATES for "HOT FOOD" in Calis Restaraunts Campaign.  (Read 9630 times)

Offline marina

Re: "HOT PLATES for "HOT FOOD" in Calis Restaraunts Campaign.
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2015, 20:54:55 PM »
Jacqui - I wondered what I'd said before you edited your post!    ;)

However, as someone who once contracted salmonella poisoning at a large hotel in Ibiza some years ago I agree totally with patrice.  This was a hotel which served all their meals buffet style so if you weren't early down to dinner you had no idea how long the food had been left standing.

Obviously this happens a lot in big hotels and if the food is properly cooked, and kept at the correct temperature, and not for hours on end, all should be ok.

I know it was the hotel because loads of the guests went down with the same symptoms within 24 hours of each other and when they didn't clear a few days after returning home I went to the doc's and got checked out to find it was salmonella.  Not very nice  :(  Nor was the flight home with a few fellow sufferers on board!   :o

I also try to avoid large buffet style meals if I can and like my meals freshly cooked and hot! 

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2015, 21:14:07 PM »
Sorry Marina, I have a  cold today and running a temperature, so got the names mixed up. 
This also happen at my husband's workplace about 15 years ago.  They had caterers in and luckily for my husband he was away that day, but everyone was ill and a few of his friends ended up in the hospital. I also would not eat buffet food and especially somewhere abroad  that does not have the same Health and Safety as we do in the U.K.   

Offline marina

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2015, 21:36:48 PM »
No worries Jacqui, hope the cold's better soon   :)

Yes, unfortunately food poisoning is no laughing matter, especially when it is severe enough to be fatal which can happen especially to the very young and elderly. 

Offline sadler

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2015, 18:52:12 PM »
Jacqui,

Cold or cool food does not contain bacteria if it has been cooked properly first.

Even if food is cooked adequately ( between 75c -82c)Food should  be served above 60c or below 5c
or bacteria develops .Food should never be left to stand in temperatures between 5c -60c for more that 2hrs.

Thought this topic was about which restaurants served hot food on hot plates, not about how long food should be left at inappropriate temperatures -itself, a very serious topic.   :)

Offline patrice

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2015, 19:40:35 PM »
Jacqui,

Cold or cool food does not contain bacteria if it has been cooked properly first.

Yes a very serious subject Sadler
This is the reason I commented on food bacteria .I thought it worrying that nick11 seemed to be unaware of potential risks to health if food is not prepared or served at the correct temperatures.I am not a expert but I do deliver Food Hygiene awareness.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2015, 20:24:54 PM »
Patrice WAS  following the thread and put right a wrong statement about bacteria in food.  However, I wonder, why people think they need to Police threads and make sure the threads do not veer off the subject?
I am sure Scunner and the moderators can do this without extra help.

Offline patrice

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2015, 09:11:13 AM »
Yes most threads veer off the subject but to me this is what makes a thread  interesting it also leads to other interesting topics  .....whoops done it again veered off the subject   ;)sorry sadler   ;)

Offline sadler

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2015, 11:05:57 AM »
  ;)

Offline hubblebubble

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2015, 13:08:29 PM »
....is it not considered highly impolite in Turkey to serve food to hot to consume?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf