Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 14020 times)

Offline AOK

• Plumstead, London, UK
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2015, 12:26:05 PM »
I upgraded from Win 7 to 10 about a month ago.Takes a bit of getting used to but seems quicker and i like some of the options available.Will keep Win 10.It is defo a vast improvement on Win 8.

Offline Daffodil

• Newly Registered
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2015, 16:14:08 PM »
I have Windows 10 now and am just trying it out. The adverts and pop ups I receive are annoying, I have never heard of 'Ghostery' how does it work KKOB? I wondered if they slow my screen down. Sometimes I  can hear an advert but not see anything.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2015, 16:27:38 PM »
Why are you getting ads and pop ups, isn't there a way to stop them?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2015, 16:30:33 PM »
Google "ghostery". It's all explained on their website.

Offline Daffodil

• Newly Registered
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2015, 19:43:12 PM »
I don't know why I get adverts keep coming up. It is annoying and I am no expert about these things.  Il will have a look at Ghostery and see if I can understand it.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2016, 13:20:32 PM »
WIndows 10 upgrade.  I upgraded when it was rolled out and posted here that I quite liked it, however, time has rolled on and so many glitches have come to the fore.
I am starting to find many programs that once worked now do not function properly. 

Last week a friend purchased from Currys a Tower Desk PC, they sold it to her as a windows 10 PC.  She purchased Office 16, and the sametime purchased Macafee Antiv Virus.   

She contacted me as she was having problems with the office and the Macafee.  We went through and installed, but the office would not recognise any of her previous files on Word. we tried for a few days to get it sorted, then I read online that many others were having the same problem.  I went through her systems and found that Currys had sold her a Windows 7 PC and had upgraded the system and sold it as a Windows 10, where does she now stand?

I have a hookey Office Pro Suite,  it has always worked fine, I sent her the files to install on her PC and it works, she can open all files.  she is going to try to get a refund on her office paid for from Currys. can't see it happening.

Have they rolled out Windows 10 far to early?  I am seriously considering rolling my Laptop back to factory settings and Windows 8.     

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2016, 13:55:11 PM »
Have they rolled out Windows 10 far to early? 

When have Microsoft ever released an OS that wasnt full of bugs!

Seriously though, I've upgraded all our machines (from 7 & 8 ) to 10 and have had very few issues.  It's also sitting happily alongside my version of Linux on desktop and laptop.

If something isn't running properly, right click the desktop icon (or program file in explorer) and select Properties.  Go to the Compatibility tab and use either the Troubleshooter or elect to run that application in Compatibility Mode (choose the OS from dropdown list).  That'll fix ninety odd percent of problems with older applications.  The rest, try updating to latest version, even the hooky ones...

JF

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2016, 06:09:17 AM »
Windows 10 comes with anti virus software. Windows Defender I think it's called. There's no need to buy it at extra cost but it does need to be enabled.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2016, 23:39:03 PM »
it is screwed! it has kicked out Kaspersky, and so many other programs, even the compatibility tab is not doing the job, so I am in the throes of transferring all my files to another computer then going back to factory settings and start again.

Offline jackstee

« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2016, 08:51:06 AM »
Kaspersky does work but it will upgrade to windows 10 after a couple of days/
I have it on all three laptops and basically no big probs

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf