Author Topic: The purchasing procedure....yes that old chestnut!  (Read 5241 times)

Offline Backdropblue

• Newly Registered
The purchasing procedure....yes that old chestnut!
« on: October 26, 2015, 11:22:18 AM »
Well I've been trawling these various Ex-Pat sites for a while now looking at somewhere to buy a holiday place abroad and tho I'm not 100% sure where to buy I've probably narrowed it down to Turkey or Cyprus.....in both cases it seems to me that buying in these countries can be a precarious business....the thing that bothers me most is the Title Deed issue....I'm almost scared to go ahead and buy for fear of being totally ripped off etc etc....having read umpteen threads on the subject I still feel non the wiser really as to what is the actual step by step procedure to buying....my main concern is how much money do you have to handover before everything is kosher with the Deeds?...I'm also wondering if I can put my three children on the Deeds as well as myself and wife?

Offline AOK

• Plumstead, London, UK
Re: The purchasing procedure....yes that old chestnut!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 11:48:00 AM »
Scunner is probably the best man on here to answer your questions, although I'm sure other people will know the answers.With regards as to who can help you with your purchase,deeds  etc  Cenk and Olga  http://www.interturkestates.com/  are highly regarded as the people to use  :)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 12:08:58 PM »
I'm almost scared to go ahead and buy for fear of being totally ripped off etc etc

Best way to avoid mishaps is to get your self a decent agent - the three that seem to be recommended on here the most are Cenk from Interturk, Ronnie from Coast2Coast and European Estates.  There are other decent agents out there, but also a lot of sharks...

Forget buying off plan, there are plenty of resale properties about and if its had a recent military permission search carried out then you don't need to reapply.

If you do buy, simply pay the money at the actual time of transfer (of the tapu) and not before.  Your agent will do all the checks to ensure the property is debt free and if you're there at the time of purchase, no need for a POA.

There are numerous horror stories about buying property in Turkey, but for every one of those there are hundreds, if not thousands, of folks who have bought property without an issue.  Just be sensible, don't let your heart rule your head and dont try to take shortcuts to save a couple of quid on an agents fee.

I'm also wondering if I can put my three children on the Deeds as well as myself and wife?

As long as the children are over eighteen (I think) and are either there at the time purchase or you hold a POA from them.  Same for the missus.

JF

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 22:48:24 PM »
Be aware that in the present climate that you could lose a lot of money should you decide to sell... There are lot of cheap properties in the market at the moment and with good reason...

Offline Menthol

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 11:53:30 AM »
I bought through Ronnie at http://www.coast2coastpropertiesturkey.co.uk/ and his joint agent colleague Bunyamin of
http://www.index-properties.com/en/location/hisaronu. I highly recommend both agents.

Both these agents are very knowledgable about the area and you should spend quite a bit of time visiting the various districts in the Fethiye region as they  each offer a different choice of lifestyle.

I spent around a year researching property buying in Turkey, and like you read the horror stories. I feel the research served me well and helped me narrow down my property selection.

I avoided off-plan and new build and knew re-sale was the way to go for us. I also knew I didn't want to purchase on a complex as I didn't want the hassle of maintenance committees and anyway we like our privacy and wanted our own pool. Then again we had no intentions of renting out to holidaymakers and chose our property always with the view of living here full time.

I also chose the best solicitor in the area http://www.sulebeder.av.tr/. Şule (pronounced 'Shoolay' ) Beder ensured that all our best interests were covered and again, I recommend her highly. I genuinely do not understand why anyone paying out tens of or hundreds of thousands of pounds for a property begrudges then paying a highly recommended solicitor a reasonable fee. You are in a foreign country, chances are you speak little of the language and you probably know little of legal and purchasing etiquette never mind all the hidden or ever so Turkish pitfalls!

As a result, we purchased without any problems at all.

I will have lived here full time for 2 years next March and my husband has more or less done the same with time out back in the UK for business commitments. Our whole family has spent many weeks here and so have many friends.

We have no regrets at all :D

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 12:26:42 PM »
Be aware that in the present climate that you could lose a lot of money should you decide to sell... There are lot of cheap properties in the market at the moment and with good reason...

It also means that if you are buying, there are some good deals to be had.  That said, I agree with you re the current (political) climate - personally, if I were looking at property, I'm not sure I would buy anything until things are a bit more certain, one way or the other.

I also chose the best solicitor in the area http://www.sulebeder.av.tr/. Şule (pronounced 'Shoolay' ) Beder ensured that all our best interests were covered and again, I recommend her highly. I genuinely do not understand why anyone paying out tens of or hundreds of thousands of pounds for a property begrudges then paying a highly recommended solicitor a reasonable fee. You are in a foreign country, chances are you speak little of the language and you probably know little of legal and purchasing etiquette never mind all the hidden or ever so Turkish pitfalls!

Yes, Şule is one of the best in this area, no argument there.  However, using solicitors when buying property in Turkey is a very "British" thing - a good estate agent is more than capable of dealing with all aspects of the conveyancing, in fact traditionally in Turkey its always been the emlak who handles the sale/purchase.  You wont find many Turks forking out a wedge to a solicitor when they know full well that the emlak can do the job.

JF

Offline Backdropblue

• Newly Registered
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 09:27:13 AM »
Thank you all for your very excellent info ....much appreciated

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 19:21:04 PM »

Good luck with whatever you decide to do Backdropblue.  Some very helpful members on this Forum and some good advice.     ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf