Author Topic: sciatica  (Read 6170 times)

Offline sue mac

• Liverpool, UK
sciatica
« on: March 25, 2016, 18:28:17 PM »
on our way out next week...hubby currently suffering with a horrendous bout of sciatica but as usual in the uk we are waiting weeks for physio, have had to request an MRI and are fighting the gp to get a prescription for Gabapentin!  Anybody suffered with this and had any results from any sources out there....tia

Offline Rana

• Newly Registered
Re: sciatica
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 18:44:07 PM »
I have had Sciatica twice. I feel for him so painful. Mine only lasted few days maybe 5 at most. I took nurofen, heat pad and occasional walking as I found it more painful after sitting. I read recently that a tennis ball placed in the area of Sciatica when you sit or lie relieves the pressure. All worth a try.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 20:33:32 PM »
I've had a it a few times. The only thing that works for me is plenty of gentle walking and as little sitting down as possible.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 20:39:48 PM »

I had it once. It was a pain in the arse.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 20:46:47 PM »
Same as KKOB for me - gentle, steady walks and although I get "your not going to bed already are you?" from Gill - sitting too long is the worst thing for me  :(

Currently lying in bed with hot water bottle on the base of my back in Calis   :)

Offline marina

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 21:00:49 PM »
Sciatica is awful, your hubby has my sympathy.  :(   Have suffered from it on and off for years.  As you've probably found out, most over the counter painkillers have little, if any, effect.  As others have said, sitting down for too long usually makes it worse so he needs to try and keep taking gentle walks as often as possible. Heat pads can help a bit, but it may depend on the severity. Good luck.

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 21:35:22 PM »
Have you tried a trip to osteopath. I could hardly walk in there, and went shopping when I came out of tgere best £30 ever spent. Hubby was sceptical, but I talked him into going and he was well impressed.

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 22:00:30 PM »
An ice pack (wrapped in a towel) at the base of my back to reduce the swelling, gentle walking or gentle excercise on an aerobics ball. At its worst, I used a chiropractor.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 08:32:02 AM »
Had it and it is not nice.  Not saying I have a perfect back now, but I tried everything, chiropractors, hospital, heat pads, this and that cream,etc..  The best thing I found for it was a set of stretching exercises - gentle at first - carried out everyday ideally on the floor if you can get down.  Took a number of weeks of these exercises but in the end the sciatica went, though the back problem that caused it is still there.  What is not good for you is doing nothing in exercise/stretching terms.  You can  'build' your own stretching routine using some of the exercises/stretches shown on You Tube.  I keep up the stretching now a couple of mornings a week, combined with Boxerdogs fitness classes.

Out of the 'practitioners' including a course of hospital treatment was a sports physio, the others did little to get rid of the problem, at best helping with some pain relief.  But if you find something that works for you, you don't care who or what it is.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 12:38:04 PM »

I had mine treated with traditional Chinese Acupuncture. The pain was gone the same evening and I have never had it since, 20 years.

Western Acupuncture is nowhere as good. Some of the needles had a Chinese moss wound around, lit, and left to smoulder. I could

feel the heat traveling down  my leg.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf