Author Topic: A Sad Story  (Read 37566 times)

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
A Sad Story
« on: October 13, 2016, 12:24:12 PM »
We’ve had quite a lot of problems, one way and another, in the building of our villa – as those who’ve been reading my blog, “Buying the Dream” will know.

The question is: when will it end? When I get tired of writing, when you get tired of reading – or when the problems finally end?

Well, it’s now October 2016, seven years after we first signed up to buy and the problems go on.  Here’s the latest: a Turkish contractor who has a company in the Calis Beach/Fethiye area, owes us money, nearly 650TL. He took the money to put in a wi-fi system, which he promised would be in place before our next guests were due to arrive in July this year. It didn’t happen. The guests, promised wi-fi, did not get it and were understandably very upset. We hired another contractor after these guests left (because the original guy kept promising them but kept coming up with excuses and never got it done). He doesn’t dispute what he owes – it’s in a written contract, signed by him – and he promised to pay. Promised, and promised – and is still promising.  He has an endless list of excuses, some quite amusing, as he puts off the payment week after week. The latest: “My bank day Monday and I pay Monday”.

I hate having to do this as he seems a personable guy, but I warned him that I would name and shame on this popular forum if he did not pay by a final deadline of Wednesday 12 October – yesterday. Surprise, surprise: no payment.  He now says he will definitely pay up by Monday 17 October – after all, that’s his ‘bank day’. Hmmm - strange for the owner of a large local building/property & pool management company to be reliant on his ‘bank day’ to pay a long-standing but paltry sum of less than 650TL. Yet another delaying tactic -

So-o- what’s his name? And what’s the name of his company? If you need small scale building work, pool maintenance, property maintenance, or wi-fi installation, and if you come across him, please be warned! He seems a really nice guy but do not trust his ‘sincere’ promises!

His name is . . .

Heck, I’ve decided to give him the very last benefit of the doubt, as I am reluctant to name and shame him, but if Monday comes and goes with without payment, I’ll reveal it on Tuesday for sure :(. . watch this space.

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
Re: A Sad Story
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 12:34:25 PM »
You are much too kind ArtyMar. Think you've given him many opportunities by the sounds of things.

Offline AOK

• Plumstead, London, UK
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 14:28:51 PM »
He wont pay ,so you might as well name him now >:(

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 14:50:18 PM »
Heck, I’ve decided to give him the very last benefit of the doubt, as I am reluctant to name and shame him, but if Monday comes and goes with without payment, I’ll reveal it on Tuesday for sure :( . . watch this space.

Bolloxs to that.  He deserves naming and shaming simply for that fact he's a) been paid to do a job which he didn't complete and b) hoping that as a non resident foreigner you'll eventually "just go away".

How many other folks has he taken money from to do jobs and hasn't either done the job or returned the money?  A lot of folks will simply put a situation like this down to experience and not chase him.

JF

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 15:00:16 PM »
If he was paying you he would have by now.. I've had skyfibernet fitted,wonderful service,TV and WiFi package.  Y hey also do short packages.x

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 15:22:37 PM »
This is why a lot of these dodgy Turkish businessmen like to deal with us Brits.... We are too nice and too forgiving.  Name and shame him.

Offline Laura B

• Newly Registered
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 16:11:55 PM »
Never never never pay upfront for any job and never expect a job to be done to your satisfaction in your absence.  Too late now for this one but everyone should understand this.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 16:13:20 PM »

Name and shame him on all the forums and social media you are a user/member of.  And a photo

may help others avoid him.           He deserves it, and it may make others think twice.

Offline sadler

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 17:43:28 PM »
Must be a serious problem to you Arty. You have suddenly morphed into the present. Name him, it doesn't matter one jot to me, we have sold, but others may benefit.   :)

Offline legless

• Muppet on Wheels
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 19:57:48 PM »
I to believe in name and shame, i shall shortly be doing just that to a builder who is held in high regard by many on this forum. Watch this space                                                                         

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf