Author Topic: Back to the old way of doing things...  (Read 2362 times)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Back to the old way of doing things...
« on: February 21, 2017, 13:51:47 PM »
I got my first RP sometime about 2003/4 in Istanbul, and to say it was a labour intensive task was an understatement.  Not just from the applicants perspective but from the folks taking and processing the application.  Forms had to be stamped by two or three different officials, money paid separately and receipt then processed.  It wasn't dissimilar in Fethiye from what I remember.  Trying to do anything other than paying a bill at the belediye was similar - lots of folks with jobs that duplicated each other in the process and everything very labour intensive.

It was the same everywhere, guys drinking cay doing jobs that existed simply because they'd always existed.  Trying to do business back then was at times a very frustrating task.  My OH's advice every time was "take a book with you".

Fast forward to now, and not just in local authorities, we've seen general commercial processes streamlined and the "job for life" culture gradually ending.  Online processes in Turkey are way ahead of many other countries simply because they didn't have older (legacy) systems to deal with.

I wonder if that's all going to change after the supreme leader in waiting's latest proclamation.

"The latest call for “national mobilization” came Feb. 7, and the target this time was the soaring unemployment rate. Speaking at a gathering of the Turkish Union of Chambers and Commodity Exchanges (TOBB), a business group boasting 1.5 million members, Erdogan claimed Turkey was under an “economic terror” attack and urged a “hiring mobilization” to start curbing the unemployment rate in March."

The furniture makers have pledged to hire 50,000 new employees.  FFS the country is struggling economically and they say yeah, no problem, we'll hire some guys.  Folks aren't all of a sudden start to buy new furniture, even if they had the money to do so.  Various other trades have made similar pledges, with the only one that appears to have substance is the exporters community who say they'll hire 300,000 new workers - with the lira so weak at least they have a chance of fulfilling the pledge with real jobs.

In total the wee man wants the business sector to create 1.5m new jobs. 

Will local councils answer his call to hire as well? 

You wouldn't know there was a referendum coming up, would you?     :)

Rant over...

JF

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Back to the old way of doing things...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 08:44:36 AM »
You wouldn't know there was a referendum coming up, would you?      :)

Silly me...  of course there's a referendum coming up, and these new jobs that folks are pledging to create are in reality no different to the pots & pans, coal and shiny new fridges dished out by the AKP to the party faithful.

So far 100,000 new jobs have been created.  Sounds good until you find out that the government is supporting them to the tune of over twelve billion lira!  Basically the government is subsidising each new job to the tune of 772tl per month for the next year.  I wonder how many of these jobs will still be there in twelve months time...

I suppose the good thing to come out of it is that some folks, who are desperate for work, will get a years worth of wages out it.

JF

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 08:59:49 AM »
How many did he end up sacking in the purge though ?

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 09:11:29 AM »
You used the past tense there Alan - its still ongoing.

JF

Offline wickwilly

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 18:55:18 PM »
Perhaps he should think about doubling the amount of postmen in Fethiye to 2 !!. We might get a few letters delivered then !!!
WW

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf