Author Topic: Sexual Harassment  (Read 4771 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Sexual Harassment
« on: November 05, 2017, 22:15:40 PM »

Sexual harassment is a very serious matter.

But is the whole matter at present in danger of getting out of control ?

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Sexual Harassment
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 08:00:45 AM »
It's already out of control - sexual harassment that is... Isn't that the point?

What may be out of control is trial, judge and sentence by the media   :)

Offline madmart

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 09:17:11 AM »
What with the current allegations surrounding parliament, the expenses scandal a few years ago, and the revolving door of ministers and senior civil servants moving into lucrative positions when they leave parliament. I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that Guy Fawkes was about 400 years early.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 14:56:35 PM »
Following a heated discussion in the other place, I have been asked by two ladies to ask the following question.

"Do you believe that it would be difficult to find a woman who has not been humiliated by a man"

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 15:08:34 PM »
Humiliate - make (someone) feel ashamed and foolish by injuring their dignity and pride.

I haven't been humiliated by any unwelcome or inappropriate sexual behaviour by a man so you have found one.
I have been subjected to the occasional grope and/or suggestive remarks by male colleagues/bosses but I wasn't the one humiliated as a result!

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 15:08:55 PM »
I think it would be difficult. I hope it wouldn't be so difficult to find a man who has not humiliated a woman but sadly I suspect that at least a sizable minority, and possibly a majority, of men would be guilty.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 17:46:39 PM »
I'm guilty !

I started work when sexual and racial abuse, of both males and females, in the workplace was rampant.

Fortunately, I grew out of it pretty quickly. Unlike many members of the 'elite' and so-called celebrities.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 19:36:19 PM »

But should fondling and touching carried out 30 years ago, when it was the norm be tried and judged by today's standards.?

The legal profession seem to think yes, if it's someone famous or rich.

Offline Daffodil2017

• Newly Registered
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 20:28:02 PM »
People in positions of trust have abused this trust when dealing with people.Doctors,teachers and religious bodies are among them.I wouldn't put a time limit on when this should be addressed.The case in Hollywood is just more in the news at the momentt because of the well known names involved.I think some women who have been subjected to harassment are now speaking out because they have children and do not want this to be faced by them.It is time that people are allowed to feel they can say NO.Young women in particular.When faced with harassment a surprising number of worldly confident women just freeze in shock it seems.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 20:55:37 PM »
I think it has got out of hand like most things PC these days. That said, years ago things were more accepted but it doesn't make it right. I have worked in an environment where the owner of the company thought it acceptable to make suggestive comments to women and to be truthful he made more of a fool of himself but it was not pleasant for the ladies involved. 10 years earlier they all just saw it as banter but you need to move with the times whether excessively pc or not.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf