Author Topic: Help for an Addict  (Read 17915 times)

Offline Christie

Re: Help for an Addict
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2018, 11:21:02 AM »
Peter James 'dead'series are very good, all based in Brighton,  also Peter Loversey,  also based down south.  We like Peter Robinson 'Banks' books, based in Yorkshire,  and have read all of Michael connelly, s books, if you don't like bosh go for the Mickey Haller ones, also good.

Offline yabanci

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2018, 14:55:04 PM »
Stuart MacBride and the Logan McCrae series.

I too would recommend the Logan McRae novels set in and around The Granite City.
If you would like something set nearer to home Colwyn try Mo Hayder's D.I. Jack Caffery novels. Although the first 2 books in the series are set in London, the 3rd book sees Caffery seconded to the Major Crime Investigation Unit in Bristol.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/52206-jack-caffery

Offline suehugh

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2018, 17:27:43 PM »
Trawl through the many Scandinavian writers. Yrsa sigurtson and Arnaldur Indriasion. Are the two best that spring to mind. Some brilliant plot twists but sometimes a hard read. Could b a translation issue though. Have also read Harry Hole series. First few are good with edge of the seat stuff. Later the books seem to have a predictable formula. Still readable.

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2018, 17:48:13 PM »
Peter James (as said above) writes about a DS Roy Grace, all based near me in Sussex, very well written & if you know the area almost factual. If you do have a punt at them make sure you read them in order, without giving anything away that's important.

Offline Daffodil2017

• Newly Registered
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2018, 19:28:49 PM »
How about Commissario Guido Brunetti the stories are set in Venice? The author is Donna Leon.

Offline Daffodil2017

• Newly Registered
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2018, 22:44:53 PM »
There is the Ben Hope series by Scott Mariani.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2018, 10:10:44 AM »
Well there's huge number of detectives from which for me to pick. I have decided to start with Harry Hole by Jo Nesbo. I'll let you know how I get on. But first, something completely different. I've been reading Cervantes, and Don Quixote has already left home, been dubbed a knight and had two "chivalrous adventures" (= disasters). I have also learned a new word - "caitliffs" - which I am sure will turn out to be very handy.

Offline Daffodil2017

• Newly Registered
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2018, 20:15:20 PM »
I wonder how many people have been brave enough to tackle that book!!!!Quite mind bending.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2018, 15:05:30 PM »
I wonder how many people have been brave enough to tackle that book!!!!Quite mind bending.
Fear not fair Daffodil, for this ancient tome, though revered of old, is naught but words from which unctuous thoughts doth flow to raise the moral tone of one's disposition, and requiring no bravery at all of the kind manifested by the valiant knights-errant of yore, of whose travails we ..........

Oops! I think it may be getting to me.

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2018, 15:25:32 PM »
All that and no mention of caitliffs.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf