Author Topic: Card  (Read 11918 times)

Offline MrT

• Newly Registered
Re: Card
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2019, 14:54:37 PM »
Halifax Clarity for me. and pay it back on the same day beats any exchange rates

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2019, 18:17:42 PM »
That’s good too Charles but not a credit card as such. I use it to withdraw currency locally - transfer it from my bank account to Starling account, then go and withdraw it from an ATM in resort with my Starling card. It’s great because you don’t need to take out more than you need that day.

You need to have the money in the Starling account to take it out. With Halifax Clarity you pay for your purchases like a normal credit card at the end of the month/statement date.

You can also pay for meals, purchases etc with Starling - but again the money needs to be in there first.

Can you convert to Lira/Euros on the card and then just pay in the shops,etc with it? Like you can with Revolut?

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2019, 13:40:33 PM »
Sooo I went to wivdraw tl from my prepaid Starling account I tried x2 ATM’s which were Granti and another which I think was Finas, Garanti was displaying a 5.5% fee with a rate of 7.36 Finas it looked like the screen said 6.32 ( surely they can’t differ by that much) so again I got my card back then tried Yapikredi which on looking online I don’t think I got a fee charge and didn’t see anything on screen at ATM the rate I got from that bank was 7.278 so I’m happy with the Starling account defo, it does save the kerfuffle of trying to wivdraw Sterling from my Nationwide account...
Oh and there is now an Akbank ATM in the what was Kipa car park now Migros but I’m pretty sure it is not working yet and not sure if it despenses Sterling as I could only see a euro and a dollar symbol 😀

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2019, 09:13:40 AM »
Karen I can’t quite remember exactly but I think there is an option to accept exchange rate or let your card issuer set the rate. You need to choose the second option.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2019, 10:23:11 AM »
Ah thanks very much Keith much appreciated I seem to recall a message like that on the screen and thinking “what do I do now” so got my card back!
Il have another try later...

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2019, 17:50:58 PM »
The ATM bank's exchange rates are shocking - always reject the rate offered and take whatever rate your card issuer gives.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2019, 06:09:43 AM »
Sooo this time I used my Starling in the Akbank ATM in Fethiye I asked for the money to be in tl,  I did get in a bit of a kerfuffle as the message looked liked it was asking me something about having it in euros so I didn’t know what was coming out!
Anyway once home I logged on to my Starling and the transaction was there converted and the rate I got was defo the highest & about on par with the Kuveyt bank, Finas and change shop were lower...
I’m very happy with the Starling account nice and simple and no faffing around changing gbp to tl.
I shall no longer bother using my Nationwide account when here.
Go Starling bank and thanks for the info getting started up with it.
Go CBF   :)

:) 8)  :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2019, 23:33:07 PM »
Fantastic Karen, glad you finally fell in love with it    :)

I love sitting on our Calis holiday balcony, transferring £100 from my bank account to my Starling account then walking round to the ATM to withdraw it in TL at a great rate.

While we're on the subject, another one to watch is eBay - I bought an item from Germany last week (priced in euros)  and paying using the preferred way - Paypal - it worked out to be £117. I chose to pay using the fabulous Halifax Clarity Card and let Halifax set the rate - I paid £112 for exactly  the same item.

Paypal are really convenient but NOT good on looking after your foreign exchange purchases.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2019, 08:20:51 AM »
Yep I totally love it no more hoping to get GPB from the Akbank and then going to change it at who ever is offering best rate espec in the heat of August, in January here we were only able to get sterling once and that included both Akbanks in Fethiye along harbour road they just had no GBP.

There is also a new Akbank along the market road as well as the new one in Migros car park but I don’t recall seeing a £ sign.
Ah that’s very handy to know re PayPal il remember that in future   ;)

Offline Fran

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2019, 09:40:53 AM »
Does the Starling card limit the amount of cash you can withdraw. I’ve got a TransferWise one and currently you can only withdraw £200 a month in cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf