Author Topic: Season over for Hisaronu ?  (Read 11802 times)

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
Re: Season over for Hisaronu ?
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 11:14:24 AM »
Andrew is spot on, I think Hisonaru is going down the same route as Corfu, watched an interesting programme about it the other night and it seems Corfu's decline started the same way, and definately the prices of the flights will add to this, my friends like Hisonaru and wanted to go this year, but because of the flight prices they went to Spain, it does make you wonder how many more have done the same.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 11:22:15 AM »
I agree with parts of that appraisal too. I certainly feel that I have given Turkey enough of my holidays and life now and those of our family. We love the area but have thoroughly enjoyed the holidays we have taken recently to other countries and to those planned for the future. We look forward to future reasons for us "having to visit" Turkey but holidays will very much be the "big wide World out there".

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 18:30:35 PM »
Well that made depressing reading. Why dont we all pack up and move now. We and all our friends are still enjoying living here. We dont however do Hissy more than 4 times in the season now. 3 or so boat trips. We have settled down to reality.  We have done 5 years now and maybe we will feel the same in another 3 years. I still cant envisage going back to the UK....We keep really busy though maybe thats the answer.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2012, 18:49:33 PM »
Not all depressing - again I say that I think it can suit many people perfectly as a place to retire. For some of those who perhaps didn't move there to retire there might be a feeling that they have simply "been there, done that". Certainly that is where we found ourselves.

The biggest problem facing Hisaronu (and the rest of Turkey's resorts) in my opinion is this. If it goes from what we discovered - a beautiful place to holiday with cheap restaurants and bars - and becomes a beautiful place but expensive for eating out and expensive alcohol, I think it will be unable to compete with cheaper and closer holiday destinations and will lose a huge amount of holiday visitors.

Offline Andrew H

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2012, 11:56:14 AM »
Glad my comments attracted some response. I can understand what everyone has said and there are many factors which influence people's decisions, my comments were just my thoughts.

Offline ovacik2

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2012, 12:38:43 PM »
As this thread seems to have turned into some members seemingly using Hisaronu to justify their move, sell up, likes and dislikes. Some of the reasons would indicate that some little thought was ever made in the earlier days as to how an area could change for good or bad and some of the other reasons are just laughable.

For a couple who have spent almost half their life in Ovacik over the past ten years, initially giving ourselves maybe five years then move on. No bones about it the weather was and is still the big draw, Turkish people ,food scenery etc have been a great bonus, and we do appreciate the health benefits we have gained with our life here.  We have travelled this wonderful province of Mugla which is easy and inexpensive to do as is the many other places in the wider Turkey. Anyone taking the time to travel will find the roads are very good and being improved all the time. We will move on at some time but will never find the need of an excuse. From day one have accepted the differences in all aspects of life in Turkey. Trying to compare Turkey with the UK in most ways, just don't do it.

We do love the UK, it is in our opinion the best place in the world to Live. Appreciating we all have different reasons to try the Turkey life, knowing we are very lucky to have have had the opportunity to have this experience our way.  :) 8) 

Offline tiggsy

• Newly Registered
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2012, 12:46:52 PM »

Well Said.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 13:08:47 PM by Scunner »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Season over for Hisaronu ?
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2012, 13:09:34 PM »
Which reasons are 'laughable'?

Offline ovacik2

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2012, 13:36:23 PM »
"Laughable" but not in a funny way!  Seems these reasons are so easy to avoid, How? Just don't go there!   :) We all have a point of view.

Which reasons are 'laughable'?

Tired of looking at jewellery shops, newsagents,  men dancing on bars, kareokee,cafes and bars and that ridiculous fun fair and go kart who really uses them? Just how many  times can you go on the 12 island cruise, mud baths etc

Offline Sleuth

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2012, 14:28:00 PM »
There are also those of us who when retired with only a state pension, ( being self employed ) and a `decimated` private pension, and a  wife who has to wait for a state pension until she is 66  ( but originally was planned for 60 )   selling up in the UK  and living in Turkey seems a very attractive proposition  and promising a `pound in the pocket` and a decent lifestyle at this stage in our lives.... if we stay in the UK.. ??  Just a kick in the teeth for us and  many senior citizens and a struggle to survive

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf