Author Topic: Buying in Calis  (Read 2393 times)

Offline chewyturk

Buying in Calis
« on: November 07, 2006, 10:23:00 AM »
Hi. We've been thinking of moving for years but now we've finally got round to doing it!
We've sold the house STC and will be coming out at Xmas to look around.
Over the years we've always been told "don't buy in Calis because it is swamp/marsh land and the buildings are not safe" how true is this?
For this reason we were looking at Tasyaka (built on rock).Presumably though, all new builds will have the new earthquake safe certificate so they should be as safe as anywhere else?
What are your thoughts/experiences?
Is it safe to buy an older property or should we just look at new builds?
We haven't been to Calis for years (since there was very little there apart from a few germans!) but it seems things have changed.
Any ideas/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Buying in Calis
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 10:47:19 AM »
Hi Chewyturk,

A few questions in there  :)

All new builds have to follow strict regulations which are in place to safeguard against earthquakes. Another fact to bear in mind is that all older builds have already been subjected to earthquakes, some bigger than others but certainly within my time here at least one that made buildings move and flex. There was no damage to any buildings (even the 'hand built' traditional really old ones!).

Calis covers a large area, and it is too sweeping to say it is 'swamp land' - true there are some poor areas, but that is not the case for the most part. On one of our constructions we actually sold the excavated soil to garden centres, such was the quality of the area.

There is also another school of thought that argues that properties built on soil (or even poor land)  cope with earth tremors better than properties built directly onto rock. This is because the transfer of tremor from ground to building is direct through rock, a less dense substrate can dissipate some of the energy. I'm not entirely convinced on that one, but it does make some sort of logical sense.

In saying all that, correct construction will prevent any problems. We have discussed on the forum before the fact that a well built property on poorer land will fare better than a poor quality build on good land.

I think the bottom line is that nearly all properties can cope effortlessly with a fair sized wobbler - if a huge one comes they will probably all cope equally well or badly.

As for Tasyaka, you can buy (relatively) a lot of apartment for your money, but it is fairly devoid of bars and restaurants (I await the Tasyaka members backlash  ;)) so you will need transport if you fancy popping out for an efes or two.

I hope that helps in one way or another.

Scunner

Offline apollo

Buying in Calis
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 11:02:11 AM »
Here are a few random thoughts and comments.

Have you thought about renting a place before you buy. This will give you plenty of time to look around for the area which suits you the best.

Inspect as many Estate Agents and properties as you can.This is the way to gain experience on what to look for and exoect to find.
Take your time and ask as many questions as you can. It's your money.  

Talk to residents for their views, although we are all bit biased towards the area and property we have bought.

There is nothing wrong with buying an older property. There are some bargains to be had.

We wouild not buy on a complex for the following reasons.

You live there full time and people who buy as a holiday home have the right to bbq, splash around in the pool and party all night if they want to.
During the winter you could be the only ones there.
Allocation of joint costs and residents who are relucrtant to pay their share.

Good luck in your search and welcome to Turkey.

PS. Take your time and use an independant solicitor.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf