Author Topic: Too expensive  (Read 5644 times)

Offline martinp2502

Too expensive
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 05:53:43 AM »
We booked flights back to the UK on 26th July (the day before the Olympics opening ceremony) and fly back to Dalaman at the end of August. About £180 each booked in November.

Offline hotlips

• Stupid is as stupid does
Too expensive
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 09:05:34 AM »
I think a lot of the carriers are charging a more for flight only because there are so many Brits that own property now. With them renting out and using their own property, they are taking the business away from the 'inclusive packages' for flight and accommodation.

The tour operators commit to their accommodation  a year in advance and prefer to sell a package. They charge a lot more for the seat only to make sure they get a return on the cost of the charter flight. Also Dalaman is renowned for extortionate landing fees etc, which push the price up.

There is no doubt that if you can book as early as possible, its the only way to get a decent price nowadays. I remember getting 2 weeks flight only in June for £100 all in about 4 years ago.

Last year a friend booked into the Majesty Tuana park 4*) for a week all inclusive in May for nor much more!

Offline LeeGlo

Too expensive
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 09:11:22 AM »
I can't believe how expensive travel has become. When we came here almost 5 years ago I booked one way flights, 2 hotels for 2 weeks in each, and transfers for the two of us for a grand total of £336.

I was looking at doing a visit back to the UK, the flights are outrageous but even worse are the hotel costs. Even a B&B wants £40 + per night, I didn't get as far as transfer costs - I gave up on the idea. No wonder the UK is only a holiday destination for Americans and Japanese.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Too expensive
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 11:45:32 AM »
I was talking to the sister in law yesterday, and I was saying to her that she should look at the marginal difference in the flight cost, when comparing Spain with Turkey.  I fired up the PC to prove the point and went to the Easyjet site, look at the prices of a flight to Dalaman and then look at a flight to Malaga .... gulp it was nearly half the price of Dalaman!

And as I posted last year when Mrs Tickets and I went to Spain for a week's break, the Spanish are working very hard to brighten their resorts, and overall the prices for food and drink outside the hotel was cheaper than Turkey - although the food quality may not have been as good, that's not to say the food was bad in anyway.

Offline grahamturner09

Too expensive
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2012, 16:06:03 PM »
It is also half the distance

Offline Marie McAndrew

Too expensive
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 16:20:42 PM »
Last year i went to Turkey for the first time, totally fell in love with the Calis area! I also went on an AI holiday to Benidorm, no comparison!! Calis wins hands down in all areas! The flights to Turkey are much more expensive but like someone said earlier it's almost twice as far. The price of accommodation in the hotels is still much cheaper in Calis compared to Spain and are smaller and friendlier, plus who would want AI in Calis with so many lovely places to eat. Last year i went half board but have opted for B&B this time so I can make full use of all the local ammenities, any suggestions gratefully recieved!
 I know im a newby to Calis but my advice would be to book as early as possible to get the best prices, ive got return from Manchester in September for £240 and don't begrudge a penny of it, all i think about is what's waiting for me when i step off the plane at the other end and it's sooo worth it!! Can't wait to be sipping a cold Effes by the pool of the Golden Moon, ah paradise on earth. lol

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
Too expensive
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2012, 17:21:56 PM »
What we need to remember is how cheap flying has become in recent years. Fuel prices, staff wages, landing charges etc have all gone through the roof, yet flight prices have come down. It doesn't take a mathematician to see that it doesn't make sense.
I mean, Glasgow to Dalaman is just short of a 5 hour flight, yet me & Mr Toky can get 2 return flights in May for under £200 in total for the 2!!!!! How can Easyjet make anything out of that? Their loss, my gain mind you. And yes, as Jacqui mentioned, my Tenerife holiday wasn't half even for the price we paid. Britain with sun IMHO.
:D

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
Too expensive
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2012, 11:44:14 AM »
I think turkey will be too expensive for a family holiday this year, by time you add visas etc to the cost of the flight, I know of lots of Calis regulars that are not going this year, We no longer do our 3/4 visits per year either, and have opted for Majorca in June, then Calis Aug/Sept,
Also agree about the russian people filling the resorts up, but not actually spending outside the hotels, things are rapidly changing, when we first went all those years ago, it was germans that dominated Calis, and the 2nd language was german, now it looks like things are about to change again and the british will become the minority.

Offline blueclad

Too expensive
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2012, 12:12:03 PM »
There are some quite good deals around if you look around ive found today Day Flights   with meals & 20 kg bags,, Plus 2 weeks 13 june - 27 june @ Kann hotel in Calis on B/B basis with shuttle transfer for the Total cost of £485 .

with Sunmaster holidays, our friends booked this for themselves today .

Sunmaster did try to up the price by £20 upon confirmation  but then agreed the screen price was correct and was their error:D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 12:18:07 PM by blueclad »

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Too expensive
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2012, 12:25:55 PM »
Good spot Blueclad! Looking cheaper to do a holiday than just flight only. Looking to book for 01/09/for two weeks and that is by far the cheapest I have seen.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf