Author Topic: Ched Evans  (Read 7276 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Ched Evans
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2015, 09:45:18 AM »
Yes, and Owen Oyston isn't Karl Oyston

Offline tiggsy

• Newly Registered
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2015, 10:01:14 AM »
Convicted of rape, and still allowed to run a football club.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2015, 10:26:28 AM »
Convicted of rape you are still allowed to do many jobs.

Offline tiggsy

• Newly Registered
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2015, 10:50:21 AM »
Without protest.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2015, 10:54:20 AM »
Agreed, but I suppose if you work in a mail room there's not too many people to protest. I think the bigger obstacle is the financial impact of taking him on, more than any role model/moral stance. Either way, he's toxic for football clubs now and that should serve to remind him he isn't above the law because he earns lots of money or can kick a ball better than others.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2015, 13:23:24 PM »
I have just been reading about Evans backer. His girlfriends father, a multi millionaire is bankrolling him
to the tune of £2 million, despite Evans cheating on his daughter to commit the rape. He has offered incentives
to get clubs to employ him, including paying his wages. Apparently he is star struck with  professional footballs
stardom and fame circle. Maybe he should just employ him in his jewellery business and save football a lot of
embarrassment . He has even funded a web site set up to show Evans in a better light.   

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2015, 17:59:47 PM »
The problem with saying Footballers are role models is, a lot of the Premier league players are not role models if we take into account their private lives. The current England Captain for instance, slept with prostitutes old enough to be his Granny, unfortunately, he gave one of them his autograph.  He also slept with two younger prostitutes in a three in a bed romp whilst his wife was pregnant.  I would say he is not a great role model.
I am not condoning rape.  I am saying that the idea that all footballers are role models is no longer valid.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2015, 10:26:17 AM »
I think there are two concepts of "role model" in circulation and both can be found in dictionaries. One is what I will call the Positive view that associates "role model" with "good role model" so that the phrase implies a moral superiority. The other concept, I'll call it the Neutral view, uses the term "role model" to cover a spectrum of "good" and "bad" role models. I prefer the second concept since it allows us to ask two questions:
a) Does this person/do these people act as a model for the behaviour, attitudes, values, life style, etc of others - particularly young people - who copy them?
b) Does this constitute a good or bad model?

If people are not influenced by footballers then the second question "good or bad" isn't relevant. But if they are influenced, and I think they might be, then second question comes into play. I don't think anyone supposes that Evans is a "good role model; but is he a "bad role model"?

Offline kawasakikid

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2015, 14:49:51 PM »
I have been observing the events unfolding concerning the Ched Evans case with great interest. I have also attempted to research this issue as much as I can in order to try and get to grips with all the complexities and conundrums that it throws up.  What interests me the most are the various arguments each side trots out to justify his or her point of view and on what basis they are made.  People certainly try to appeal to the emotions in order to get their point of view across.  Unfortunately a lot of the time, it is those very emotions that seem to override and take control in any given situation. We are, after all, “only human”. For example, Colwyn has attempted to analyse what a “role model” actually is. But for me the “role model” argument is a spurious one and has the effect of taking ones the eye off the ball (pun intended).

Whether you believe in Ched Evan’s guilt or innocence is one thing, it is another to move forward from the situation he is in now. I have to say however, that his behaviour on the night in question was despicable and any right minded person would say that.  So he is at least, guilty of that behaviour and has admitted it.  It is a fundamental right of every person to protest their innocence of any given crime and to pursue any legal avenue open to him/her.  He has had his first appeal dismissed by the Court of Appeal, but his subsequent appeal has been fast tracked under Criminal Cases Review Commission as pointed out in a previous post.  They will take several months to come to a conclusion.  Therefore, as the position currently stands in law, he remains guilty unless or until that judgment is overturned.

The point of my post is this: I cannot believe the breathtaking hypocrisy of people- period.
Lesley Grantham- sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder of a taxi driver in 1966;
Roman Polanski- on the run from the US authorities since 1978 (has received extensive celebrity support);
Geoffrey Boycott- convicted woman beater 1996, appeal dismissed (powerful lobby pushing for his knighthood);
Mike Tyson- convicted of rape in 1992.

Need I go on? All of the above have been convicted of very serious crimes and yet they were allowed to return to their chosen profession. Either these people should not be allowed to return to their professions or they should be allowed back to complete their rehabilitation. Roman Polanski on the other hand has not served time and is in effect, a fugitive and yet is continuing to make lots and lots of money, thank you very much.

Society should not be allowed to pick and choose what people are worthy of redemption.  That is up to the law of the land and/or the appropriate governing bodies.

Offline kawasakikid

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2015, 15:44:11 PM »
Ched Evans has had his case referred back to the Court of Appeal following a review by Criminal Cases Review Commission.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-34441348

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf