Author Topic: Brexit  (Read 78686 times)

Offline davybill

Re: Brexit
« Reply #310 on: December 06, 2018, 07:21:20 AM »
Well it all started a long time ago if you can remember that far back.Ha Ha.
UK voted to leave the EU,

Offline villain

• The most unpopular poster in the village
« Reply #311 on: December 06, 2018, 09:08:16 AM »
I didn't ask you about the result of the 2016 referendum,

I was asking which option of the ones that apppear to be open to us appeals to you the most:

No Deal, May's deal or Remain?

Offline 1calis

• Newly Registered
« Reply #312 on: December 06, 2018, 15:24:38 PM »
Remain is against the vote so that must be no.
May's deal ties us to EU with their rules,payments to them and no input from UK so still tied to EU so must be no.
No deal. As voted for in the referendum.

Offline peter16

« Reply #313 on: December 06, 2018, 16:17:34 PM »
The referendum question was " do you want to leave the EU", not "do you want to leave with no deal".

Offline villain

« Reply #314 on: December 06, 2018, 17:27:04 PM »
Remain is against the vote so that must be no.
May's deal ties us to EU with their rules,payments to them and no input from UK so still tied to EU so must be no.
No deal. As voted for in the referendum.

A major aim of May's deal was to try and honour the terms of the Good Friday Agreement. How do you think we can honour those terms under a No Deal scenario?

Offline sadler

« Reply #315 on: December 06, 2018, 17:43:17 PM »
I have watched this discussion being batted backwards and forwards without commenting. I have spoken to numerous people/friends about how and why they voted as they did. What worries me enormously is how many of them who voted to leave without (at their admission) fully understing the reprocussions of their vote.  What I would like to see is a vote to ask if, knowing  what we know now, how would they have voted. None of us had a full understanding of what our future would be and the way things seem to be  turning out, it appears to be a very worrying prospect indeed.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #316 on: December 06, 2018, 22:32:27 PM »
First things first, and I cannot stress this enough – I am not at all sure what is best for the UK - I wish I did.

Secondly, the people voted in 2016 to leave and that is what the government has negotiated to do.

The opposition claim that it is a bad deal and will try to vote it down.

However, it seems to me that having listened to various European leaders over the last few days – “the deal IS the deal and there is no possibility of a “better deal” for the UK” being agreed upon”.

The Remainers are not happy, are calling “foul” and are demanding another so called “people’s vote” (implying by the way that the referendum vote in 2016 wasn’t voted on by “the people”).

We will have to wait to see if the deal is passed in the UK Parliament and indeed if a cancellation of Article 50 is an option.

Let’s assume the Remainers get their way and there is a second “so called” peoples vote.

Self evidently, two outcomes of that vote are possible – (1) the majority vote LEAVE OR (2) the majority vote REMAIN.

So, what will the Remainers do if (1) above is the democratic outcome of the vote – will they accept the result this time?

And if the democratic outcome is (2) above will the Leavers not have a justifiable case for saying to the Remainers – “you didn’t accept the first vote so why should we accept the result of this one”.

Offline villain

« Reply #317 on: December 07, 2018, 09:20:35 AM »
Yes, if the basis of what Brexit you are voting on is clearly defined and the implications are clearly laid out - which simply wasn't the case in 2016.

This is what 1calis wants. You simply cannot call this Project Fear any longer. Who in their heart of hearts really voted for this?

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjN9svesY3fAhXGgVwKHXIfDOsQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fnews.sky.com%2Fstory%2Ftraffic-chaos-and-school-dinners-at-risk-in-no-deal-brexit-kent-council-warns-11573490&psig=AOvVaw2_tAHt2vYxUgTvre5fblaH&ust=1544260753716236

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/3d9d4f44-f9ad-11e8-83e5-4dc2d31f2a89

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #318 on: December 07, 2018, 12:00:24 PM »

This can be batted backwards and forwards quoting this source and that source for and against. The "peoples" vote happened in 2016, 2 easy questions, stay or leave, the vote was leave and that vote should be honoured, end of.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #319 on: December 07, 2018, 12:56:08 PM »
Well said that man   :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf