Author Topic: self catering, half board or AI  (Read 4331 times)

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
Re: self catering, half board or AI
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 23:49:13 PM »
LOL @ H
  :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 23:52:58 PM »
It's not fair to say AI puts nothing into the local economy - they employ large numbers of local people who spend their wages locally, also they buy some of their food and drink supplies locally. It's not untrue that a proportion of AI guests never leave the place, but also many do. Better for the local economy to have people staying in Letoonia than staying in Tenerife.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 00:06:15 AM »
I have no preference so long as someone (i am not fussy) makes the bed, cleans the bathroom, cooks my breakfast, does the washing.Gordon are you reading?!!

Offline thebillet

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 07:41:16 AM »
AI, when we had kids, 2/3 at a time, we used to wander around looking at various places to eat and have a drink, because we usually went to different places each year and wouldn't know where to avoid, trying to work out what was on offer and how much it would cost. The results were as expected varied. It also meant the kids always ate with us but by the time they were teenagers they sometimes wanted to eat with new friends, AI enabled that. It also meant they could access treats such as ice cream cokes and burgers without having to come to bank of mum and dad.
AI also allows you to go out and about if you wish and eat elsewhere, which we sometimes did.
We always enjoyed there being no shocks when a bar bill arrives.

Since the kids have gone we have done AI twice in the last two years but the majority of time we use our own place in Fethiye. Finally I would happily do AI again but only if reviews were good and there was waiter service as well.

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 07:54:57 AM »
Self catering for us providing we have the facilities (proper oven, 4 hobs etc)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 08:10:28 AM »
I read a report in a newspaper that AI has killed off lots of resorts in Spain as the local restaurants and bars are closing and along with them the shops.  The report said that as for Turkey only 10% of money from AI's goes into the Turkish local economy. 
If AI's get a grip it's a nature progression that eventually there will be huge AI's and nothing in the local area to visit.. i.e Ghost Towns.
I speak as someone who has done AI and B&B and I much prefer the freedom of B&B.  However,I know people with young kids want AI because of the convenience and in some cases the lower costs, but strange as it may seem, we managed  to take our kids on holiday without staying at AI's and they still had a great time.  ;)

Offline Robw

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 08:20:57 AM »

Self catering for us also, never cook but the option is there if needed. Not a fan of AI in the Fethiye area as i have compared the likes of Letoonia to what our total Holiday cost is and it works out about the same but we get all the variation of different places, trips etc for the same money!

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 10:43:05 AM »
The AI I have heard about mostly seem to involve buffet meals (I hate fetching my own food/drinks) and less well-known brands of drinks.  I also don't like the idea of feeling I need to get 'my money's worth' and stay within the Hotel.  I have stayed in several pretty good  hotels in Spain, Italy, UK and simply don't find the dining experience appealing. It reminds me of school - queueing for food then for drinks etc.  I like to be waited on and love going to different places so self-catering for me any day - I also like to 'put the kettle on' any time I feel like it and not have to rush down to save a sun-bed every morning !

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 11:09:02 AM »
all inclusive when we go to a hotel

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 13:01:55 PM »
2014 we must get our act together and share an apartment.

For th avoidance of doubt "We" - definition = Brenda and I ;D
Do you and Brenda usually have separate apartments?

Our preference is B&B if going for a fortnight; self-catering if going for longer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf