Author Topic: Buying a Vehicle - Non Residents  (Read 14369 times)

Offline albaman

• Membership Cancered
Buying a Vehicle - Non Residents
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 07:43:37 AM »
It seems very wrong for the authorities to differentiate between Turkish & foreigner when it comes to vehicles.

I thought that the laws were meant to be reciprocal & I am not aware of the UK making Turkish people have "foreigner" plates.

While I am not anti Turk I would suggest that the average British citizen is a more careful & safer driver, partly due to our uniform driving laws & requirements. Partly to do with the different culture & temparement.

So it would be fairer all round & lessen admin costs to just have one type of number plate for everyone & the same requirements of law enforced on everyone, regardless of ethnic origin!

Offline minimoo

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
It's also illegal for a turkish citizen to drive a vehicle with yabanci plates. I believe though that there are ways of getting around this, for example getting a notarised letter stating that the owner allows a named TC to drive their vehicle...all for a fee of course.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 10:03:52 AM »
Anything's possible for a "fee".  ;)

Offline crazydave

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 10:36:44 AM »
Hi,Just been reading about the insurance problem for people not having the same surname,the first car i purchased here was registered in my mates name because i was on a three month visa,so what i had to do for me to be legal when driving was take out a private car insurance in my mates name and be added as a named driver,or you can have a private policy for any driver but turkish people cannot be added to the policy only folks from europe,also now i have a car in my own name i still have a private insurance policy which covers everything from, hotel accomodation should i have an accident miles away,courtesy car if my cars being repaired,also covered for vandalism,fag burns etc,and i use my 60% no claims bonus which i had in uk so it makes the policy here cheaper.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 16:08:57 PM »
Woody - many thanks for your advice.

I would like to know what happens when someone goes to insure their vehicle (car/scooter/bike) with a Kimlik Number that is no longer "current".

I am happy to buy a residency for 1, 3 or 6 months to get a Kimlik Number but when I go back to Turkey in future years I don't want to buy one every year when I am only going for 6 months a year and have no intention of living there permanently.

I don't mind putting a little extra in the pot but not annually and especially as if I am right I would only be apply to have 3 residency periods - that means 3 years of paying for residency and my scooter is then surplus with circa 5000 miles on the clock [:(!]

Ian
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 17:26:32 PM by Ian »

Offline Chinook

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2010, 17:20:15 PM »
When I queried why Turkish people could not drive a yabanci plated car I was told that it was because the price of a new car was less to a foreigner as they did not pay all of the tax normally included in the selling price.Never having bought a new car its never arisen.

On insurance when I asked for our daughter to be added to the insurance I was told by the insurance agent that it was not necessary as it was the car that was insured and not the drivers and as long as she held a valid driving licence she was covered.

Have I been guilty of stopping when I received the answer I wanted to hear?

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2010, 17:59:37 PM »
On your vehicle docs there is a box (Z.2 DIGER BILGILER), If that box is not stamped (Araci Sahibi ve aile fertlerinden baskasi tarafindan kullanilamaz) and signed below, only the owner can drive the vehicle, translated it means, "only the owner and family can use the vehicle."

It used to be stamped automatically, now you have to ask when registering a new vehicle or re-registering a vehicle at the traffic police.

Also means that if not married partners cannot drive.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 18:06:08 PM by Diverbaz 1 »

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2010, 20:39:49 PM »
Baz - my neighbour bought a scooter 6-months ago and had 2 names put on the ownership document - 2 with different surnames.

So here is a KKOB type theory
- although I am guessing - and have never seen any of the paperwork - whilst he tends to work from a basis of facts!!!!

What is to stop you buying the scooter and having 2 names on the ownership documents and then if one of those names has a residency you could use that ID number to register the vehicle and again each year to insure the vehicle?

Ian

Offline Eric

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2010, 22:32:02 PM »
Ian, your kimlik number stays on the system even after your residence expires.  Once its on it stays on.

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2010, 22:38:34 PM »
Eric- that is the best news I have heard on this muddles mess!

So that should mean if I get a 3 month visa for £100( just to get the number ) - pay 150 YTL for someone to do the paperwork plus 100 YTL for courier/charges and finally 150 YTL for the blue/grey book then I will have my Kimlik for life because they have got all my details, a bit of my money and I am sorted.

I will settle for that - thank you  8)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf