Author Topic: Wild Boar recipe, -help!  (Read 5477 times)

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Wild Boar recipe, -help!
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 10:53:24 AM »
Rindi  -  am I allowed to ask  (or more importantly - are you allowed to tell me ?!) where you got the wild boar from ?  We tried to get hold of some last christmas, but locals just scratched their heads !  (Despite the fact that we knew a hunting party had gone off a couple of nights previously !!!:D

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Wild Boar recipe, -help!
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 11:26:24 AM »
One day in Spring (I think) a Turkish neighbour asked if we wanted boar, we said yes.  Off Dearest goes in his car with said neighbour and came back with 2 small boar not jointed but prepared for jointing.

It is a 'thing' to shoot boar for entertainment and some will sell you the proceeds.

I will try to find out if there are any available now.  It should be frozen to tenderize it (we've been told).  I will let you know.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 11:27:10 AM by Rindaloo »

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Wild Boar recipe, -help!
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 11:45:57 AM »
Hi George, thanks for the recipe.  It is similar to what I ended up doing.  I think I did it on 150 in my fan oven for about um, I think 4 hours. Is that about right?  It was still a bit chewy in places.  I did wonder if it needed longer.  Certainly I will put more wine in next time.

You joke about coming round, but you're more than welcome.  As long as you like visiting a Zoo.....

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Wild Boar recipe, -help!
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 11:52:41 AM »
Thanks Rindi ! unfortunately we aren't out now until next summer....grrrrr.....but it would be good to get to know a 'supplier' !

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Wild Boar recipe, -help!
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 11:57:59 AM »
You know Turkey -everyone's a supplier.....  ;)

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Wild Boar recipe, -help!
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 20:51:03 PM »
Last lot we had had actually been shot that morning and was so tough it was virtually uneatable.  Don't know if is true but were subsequently told it should be hung for at least 14 days. :)

Offline Firo

Wild Boar recipe, -help!
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 21:43:12 PM »
We were told to hang it also but after 3 days it was crawling  :o
Unless you have a cold room I would recommend freezing it to tenderize the meat.
Fi

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Wild Boar recipe, -help!
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 23:56:17 PM »
Yes, freezing was what we were advised.  Our two boars were freshly shot, still warm and hanging in a tree when Dave went to get them.

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Wild Boar recipe, -help!
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 11:27:00 AM »
I am 'wild boaring' again.  This time I am doing it in slow cooker.  I have fried some shallots, green peppers and garlic.  I have added a little tinned tomato, ground coriander seed and red wine.  Don't know what I am doing, but here goes....

Offline lollypop

Wild Boar recipe, -help!
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 13:20:22 PM »
My dad shoots wild boar and deer in the UK they both should be hung for as long as possible but due to warmth in the UK that is virtually impossible so it is best to freeze all the meat and then let it defrost in your fridge which can be just like hanging.  My dad now has a freezer made in his shed where all the meat gets hung.

Rindaloo your boar sounds delicious!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf