Author Topic: State Schools  (Read 4236 times)

Offline Emvs2002

State Schools
« on: April 24, 2008, 14:02:15 PM »
Dont know if this is in the right place but didnt know where else to put it.

My daughter will be 5 in August and ivbe heard i can put here into a state school in september when she is 5 is this true?

Does it cost anything? if so how much?

Also what will i need to enrol her? does she have to speak turkish?

She also has her fathers name and not mine i read somewhere this might be a problem? her 'real' father is english!!

Anyone know of any good state schools i could send her too?

any help would be great as i dont have the money for her to go to private school

Offline trainer

• Last man standing
State Schools
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 17:01:35 PM »

Offline MagicalGarden

State Schools
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 19:36:56 PM »
I'm not sure of the answers to your question but I run a nursery school in Fethiye. We can take children upto 7 years as all children must be in school by 7. If you speak Turkish or have a Turkish speaking friend you are more than welcome to pop in for a coffee and have a chat with one of my teachers. The  teachers at my nursery are qualified Turkish pre-school teachers and are all local women so know the local schools and may be able to give you some advice.
Good luck.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 19:38:25 PM by MagicalGarden »

Offline minimoo

State Schools
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 06:16:49 AM »
My eldest son is a State school here, and I will try to answer some of your questions...

Your child will need to have at least a basic understanding of the turkish language as the lessons will all be in turkish and very few, if any of the teachers will speak english.

We do not have to pay for my son to attend the school, but every parent must contribute towards paying for the cleaning fees, and you may also be asked to supply items like toilet rolls and soap etc.

In order for your child to attend school, they must has a residence permit.

There should not be a problem regarding your child's name. My son has an english surname and this has not been a problem for us.

In order to enrol your child, you will need to go to the school of your choice, show their passport and residence permit, copies of reports from the school in the uk as proof the child has been at school, and this will also help the school to decide which class they should go into.

That is all I can remember from when I enrolled my son, but that was a few years ago now, and of course some things will have changed. It may be wise for you to take a turkish speaker with you so you can get all of the facts straight.

Hope this helps.

Offline chorleyboy

State Schools
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 00:10:15 AM »
My ex partner, the mother of my youngest boy, aged 11, is threatening to move to Turkey with him, she is obsessed with the Bodrum area.
I hope I am asking this correctly as it is not easy for me so apologies if I confuse or upset anyone.
I do not want him to move to Turkey, he is starting high school in September and I feel he would get a better education in England as he doesnt speak any turkish bar the usual Merhaba etc, the very basics.
She says she can move to Turkey anytime and that he and she went to see about schools when she was over in Bodrum with him last October.
Even though he has just been with me for a fortnight to the Fethiye area, he never said anything to me about it.
What I am trying to get across, is how would she go about moving to Turkey permanantly and would it be easy for her to get a residency permit, (she has little or no savings and no equity as I know of)?
Even though my feelings are irrelevant that I just think the Turkish sun has got to her, and the holiday atmosphere obviously, do you think that she could easily move to Turkey on a permanant basis, or would she find it hard going to realise her dream?
Any help on this matter would be most welcome as you can imagine, thank you.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
State Schools
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 00:23:23 AM »
Whatever you may have heard or read, the truth is that personal equity has no relevance on gaining residency (other than the cost of it itself) so that would not hamper her plans. Assuming she has little to speak of financially, it is likely that the only schooling option would be a state school. My understanding from previous customers who moved here is that English students are welcome, but Turkish is not taught as a second language (as it is in private schools, where an intensive but effective programme of learning Turkish is in place from early on). In essence, all lessons are in Turkish and the pupil will sit in all of them, understanding next to nothing. This only changes when the child picks up enough of the language themself, which can be very tough and incredibly lonely.

That said, youngsters do tend to learn much quicker than us stupid adults, but I'd suggest it's likely to be very tough for a while.

Offline chorleyboy

State Schools
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 13:56:15 PM »
Thank you scunner.
If I may, can I ask if anyone with a youngish child or children with no money behind them moved to Turkey to live, and did they find it easy to do so, and what was it like initially?

Offline starman

State Schools
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 12:53:41 PM »
Also the child must have a residence permit. If your the father and the mother takes the son to Turkey then she would need to get whats called a "muafakname" (not sure of spelling) which is a signed notarised document from you giving permission for your son to take residence in Turkey. If you dont sign this then your son wont be able to get residence.

Offline chorleyboy

State Schools
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 13:50:10 PM »
Thanks for that starman.

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
State Schools
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 15:41:47 PM »
I know of a situation where a lady who planned to move to Turkey was unable to do.    The father went to court to stop his son being taken abroad.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf