Author Topic: Prices  (Read 10036 times)

Offline raygans

Prices
« on: April 22, 2011, 21:12:48 PM »
Hi everyone,just a quick question does anyone know if the cost of living has gone up in turkey as much as it has here in the uk??

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Prices
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 21:18:13 PM »
It cant have gone up as much as the Uk, be prepared if you are a tax payer in the uk for this month's pay to be a bit of a shock with the new tax and ni increases, hubby has had his pay slip early for this month and the new deductions are riduculous!

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

Prices
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 22:12:12 PM »
As  the Turkish inflation rate is twice the UK rate hen prices should have gone up quicker in Turkey.The trouble is that I think this figure that we get quoted of 4% is a load of old cobblers.Prices in the UK are rising at more than 4% a year. We all know that when we go to the checkout at the supermarket. At the rate fuel is going up I am surprised they dont allow you to take out a mortgage at the kiosk to pay for it.We had stupid Osbourne saying in the budget that from tonight fuel will be 1p lower and it was. The only problem is that within 2 days it went up by 2p and it is continuing to rise because oil companies are recovering the new north sea oil levy announced in the budget.

The problem in the UK is that we are supposed to have competition and we really do not have it. Most places charge the same for fuel. Our energy companies are owned by foreigners.For example EDF, a French company,charge 30% more for electric in the UK than they do in France and the french bill includes VAT at twice the UK rate.

Apologies for getting on my soapbox but the consumer just gets fleeced in the UK.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Prices
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 22:33:04 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Karennina

It cant have gone up as much as the Uk, be prepared if you are a tax payer in the uk for this month's pay to be a bit of a shock with the new tax and ni increases, hubby has had his pay slip early for this month and the new deductions are riduculous!

Funny - I got more this month. Im  ust be one of the lucky ones :)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 09:21:45 AM by stoop »

Offline scareylady

• Yes, she is...
Prices
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 07:41:03 AM »
:D

I also got more this month??  Shhhhhh not complaining :D:D:D

Offline corbindallas

Prices
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 08:32:19 AM »
Hmmm on a recent trip back to the UK I was shocked how much prices markedly went up in the supermarket their since my previous visit only 8 months before. But on the other hand when you look at prices here in Turkey they are just as shocking for some items. For instance a kilo of beef mince in Turkey costs around £10 in the UK a kilo of steak mince from Tesco is around the £5 mark, granted you can buy cheaper (fatty) mince in UK but this is a par product look. Cost of living wise I would say Turkeys overall cost of living has gone down this year especially with the resident visa costs now being drastically reduced. But on a product to product comparison there are clearly disadvantages on the Turkish side. Heres my list of what is more expensive in Turkey compared to UK.

FUEL (Petrol, Deisel, LPG)
MEAT
SPIRITS
WINE
ENGLISH PRODUCTS (PORK SHOP RANGE tin of baked beans 80p)
VEHICLES (PURCHASE)
VEHICLES ANNUAL TAX (EXTREME EXAMPLE BEING FOR A RANGE ROVER 4.6 NEW IT WILL COST OVER £6000 A YEAR!!!)

Taking above into account your other cost of living items compared are cheaper (fruit & veg, property etc,) so I guess they are roughly the same on pros and cons.Of course if you compared on sunshine, customer service, lifestyle, Turkey wins hands down! ;)

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Prices
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 08:58:49 AM »
Maybe they have made a booboo with my hubby's tax code, he never received a tax coding letter (the green and white letter) to say what his tax code would be,so am going to get him to query it after Easter.:D

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Prices
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 09:23:17 AM »
My tax code went up this April - hence the slight pay rise I guess  :)

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

Prices
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 09:48:21 AM »
Every time people start comparing Turkish prices to the UK it seems that people conclude Turkey is cheaper and throw in the sunshine that Turkey wins hands down.Probably does if you are fit and able bodied between the age of 50 and 65.  

Once you start adding the costs of medical care then it is a totally different ball game. The NHS gets knocked but it is free and available. If you are ill and have a long term illness then the drugs that you require can be free. In my own case i am a diabetic and all my medication is free. While in Turkey it was costing me nearly 100 quid a month when including visits to the doctor for reviews and blood tests.If you are unemployed in the UK there is some help available in benefits and tax credits.

All I am trying to say that it is not that clear cut  and Turkey is not the land of milk and honey. Both placeshave their advantages and disadvantages. I loved Turkey but I returned to the Uk because of the cost of medical care.

Offline Eric

Prices
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 14:53:28 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by stoop

My tax code went up this April - hence the slight pay rise I guess  :)

Everyone's tax code should have gone up as the tax free allowance has gone up by £1,000 this month.  It will go up another £500-£600 Next April.  This Government have set a target of increasing the tax free allowance to £10,000 by the end of this term of office.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf