Author Topic: standards have improved without doubt  (Read 2918 times)

Offline Brandi

standards have improved without doubt
« on: August 18, 2010, 18:18:33 PM »
Just returned from Calis (even though Kiss collapsed !!).

We have been coming to Calis for 6 years. The food when we first came was excellent, but, as commented on CBF, there had been a decline in the standard of food, and the portion sizes.
Yes indeed we used to get a starter and every meal ended with complimentary fruit and tea or coffee on the house but, Calis people have to make a living, same as anybody else and business is business !.
I say had, because it has most definitely improved again. That is the power of this site !!!

Bella Mamas - everyone raves about and it is a lovely meal no doubt. I never really get a turkish feel, which in an italian restaurant is to be expected. I always feel they are so slick in their service,
but feel that is more to get the next people in, but then thats business. Got a fantastic penthouse suite though on the roof top (if you can afford it)

Bombay Palace- again in turkey, but not quite turkish.  Nice for ex pats pining for an indian meal.  What a meal though. Very very tasty and the entertainment sitting on that set of traffic lights !! You could sell seats just to watch. Good meal if you need an indian whilst in turkey!

Serkul 2 - Spend as long as you like. Relaxed atmosphere, lovely food. An ottoman casserole which was lovely but would have preferred to order a day in advance to really let the meat cook through.  Lovely flavours but meat needed more time.

Orient Express - again another favourite on CBF and deservedly so. You can still get turkish tea !!! That might seem an odd statement but we keep asking for cay (sorry no accents on this keyboard ) and we get liptons tea bag in a mug !!  Come on guys what is that about.  Well done Orient keep serving that cay - not to mention all the delicious meals, so pleasantly served.

Harem - as ever a beautiful meal - meatballs were lovely as was the steak my husband had.  The second time we ate there we had the fish in sea salt - very impressive.  With a days notice so the right fish can be bought - lagos - the skin is thicker and therefore better for the sea salt recipe ! Great service - always with courtesy and respect (there are some pics on the sea salt fish on CBF!)

Anna's -opposite the Genpa - we stayed here and the atmosphere was lovely. Great job being done there and the food is of a really good standard.  We tended to have breakfasts and snacks - the pancakes are to die for !

Guverns - we walked down to the other side of town on a few occasions ! Great place, nice beach, no hassel. The pide is gorgeous and well worth a visit.

Fish market Fethiye - always stars on CBF and no wonder.  They ran around with fans and umbrellas to keep us and the wine cool. The food is superb.  We tend to walk into Fethiye and back again when we go to the fish market. It was hot hot hot. My fingers started to swell on the way back !!  Oh but it was worth it - lovely.

Sat beach bar. When it first opened it seemed to struggle - a little pricey and then it appeared to change hands a couple of times .  Well done guys on creating a beach club. Great beach with outside facilities loo, shower, drinks, snacks etc.  We spent the day there and decided to indulge in a meze each!! With a beautiful bottle of wine, hot and looking out over the med - absolute luxury.  The price is not a give away but you do get what you pay for. I couldn[t afford to go everyday but what a special lunch. yumm

Denis the menace - staring this year with three very strong characters there - Denis Gurbuz and Rushie. Lovely meals and nice to see the comfy chairs out the front so when you finish your meal (and wine) you can relax with a coffee and watch the world (and various sights) go by.

Annas - on the sea front by far takes the prize this year.  Ottoman kabab - not like the kebabs we have at home! A skillet of the most succulent meat (I had chicken - husband has lamb) in a gorgeous sauce. Relaxed - Wine was spot on. Coffees are great. Water pipe a different experience from camel non filter !! The turkish coffee was just fab - sweet and delicious. The ottoman clay pot makes the meat so tender and to see the top of the pot hacked off with a clever gives such an authentic turkish feel !!  A must ! x

Portion sizes, and quality of food has improved. The guys there all work so hard all season, to accommodate everyone.  Please though, keep the turkish elements - I hate seeing tomato sauce, mayonaise  and liptons tea in such a rich and colourful culture.  There is a balance between meeting the needs of visitors whilst maintaining your own cultural diet.  

In short, I find it hard to get a bad meal in Calis.  On reflection perhaps that comes down to what you order, and where ?

Well done Calis Beach and thank you x x

Offline june

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 09:19:18 AM »
Laura, that was a very good and extremely informative post, thanks very much for taking the time....I entirely agree with your line about what you order and where...and we have never had a 'Bad' meal...just some are better than others....

June
x

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 11:18:04 AM »
Very informative, thanks. I agree standards have improved from maybe 5-7 years ago but in general this year we found too many places where the food was just too bland and not very imaginative. After 7 years of rice/salad/chips and warm rather than hot food, MacDonald's looks tempting;-) We found ourselves going back to the sizzlers/Turkish casseroles etc as they were the only meals we could guarantee would be nice and hot.

Totally agree with you thoughts on Guven's - great place. I don't think we ate at any of your other choices so maybe next time.......

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 11:35:42 AM »
I hate to disagree with Brandi (I really do Laura :D ) and with that comes agreeing with Stoop but we're pretty much done with the seafront now. In 10 days we ate on the seafront 3 times (that's 12 meals for our family) and as Stoop says, bland, unimaginative and soggy. Yes, soggy :D. Rice chips and salad should have been the bloody logo for the Calis Carnival flag! Rice chips and salad = 3 ways to fill up half your plate with cheap rubbish so they don't have to give you much of what you actually ordered. Same old lamb shank, same old sea bass, same old steak in a mushroom sauce. Would you like to see the kid's menu? No, give me a pen and I'll write it out for you, I can guess exactly what is on it!

We had a nice lunch/snack at Eyna, same at Frank Cannons (Gunislik - yes I know it's not on the seafront) and neither is the Meeting Point, where at least you can find a more varied menu and good friendly service like it used to be all over Calis. These days I seem to see a friendly face as we enter many seafront restaurants then just their back for the rest of the evening as trying to sweet talk passers by into coming in is far more important than anyone who actually already came in.

For me Brandi is right on a few things - give me the fish market, also Mozaik Bahce, Ocakbasi & Sahil Lokantasi any day of the week. I was on more Fethiye dolmuses/dolmusler/dolmi in this recent 10 days than in the entire 5 years of living there, and that isn't a joke it's a fact!

Maybe the likes of Stoop and I just expect too much, or maybe we just choose the wrong seafront restaurants or perhaps make a disappointing choice from the menu, but I doubt it. I remember finding many great culinary delights on Calis seafront, just not in recent years.

Offline bee

• Droylsden, Manchester, UK
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 11:43:10 AM »
couldnt adree more.Bee

Offline bee

• Droylsden, Manchester, UK
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 11:46:13 AM »
oops I meant to say agree with scunners comments :-\

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 14:12:59 PM »
Replying to yourself is the second sign of madness Bee:D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 14:13:15 PM by stoop »

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 17:47:01 PM »
I always eat in Fethiye and have rarely had chips served with my meal.

Offline june

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 18:45:29 PM »
Also its not compulsory to have the Rice,Chips and Salad...Many times I just ask for a nice big salad but NO chips or rice and they are happy to oblige.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 18:58:04 PM »
Well that is indeed the case, but firstly nobody (and no menu) tells you that you will be getting rice, chips and salad - so the first you know about it is when your plate is delivered, and secondly, why can't someone who works as a chef, or a waiter or even an owner decide that it is as naff as the naffest thing in the World and say we are not serving this rubbish anymore? There is no "rice chips & salad" obsession 5 minutes round the bay in Fethiye, in fact you'd be hard pushed to find a place serving this holy trinity of dross in the whole town.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf