Author Topic: rediscovering liver  (Read 11002 times)

Offline Ally B

rediscovering liver
« on: July 22, 2015, 11:06:44 AM »
When I was a young lad many many years ago I was coaxed ( forced) to eat liver. Why? " BECAUSE IT IS GOOD FOR YOU" After a bath in a tin bath in front of the fire on a Sunday night the dreaded nit comb appeared and my mother ploughed through my hair leaving furrows in my scalp and a tear in my eye. Why? "BECAUSE ITS GOOD FOR YOU"  Every morning before school I was made to have a soup spoon of sticky gooey horrible cod liver and malt Why?  "BECAUSE ITS GOOD FOR YOU"  I had Iodine dabbed onto cuts, grazes, and open wounds. Why?  " BECAUSE ITS GOOD FOR YOU" I'm sure my parents loved my but deep down I think they were closet sadists.   After marrying my wife 42 years ago my and livers path did not cross very often,that was until 4 years ago on a visit to Obens restaurant in Calis. We were sitting looking  at the menu   when the couple next to us were served their meal.I glanced over and what he had looked really good.  Being a nosy person I asked what he was having." Grilled calves liver he said ,would you like a taste" Well I had a piece and could not believe it was liver. This was not the grey twisted horrible thing I ate all these years ago. This was a nice brown colour crisp on the outside soft in the middle and oozing with flavour. Whatever they do in the kitchen to the liver it is spot on. Any one who likes liver should go there and if you dont, go and give it a try. Cant wait to go back and have some more.  Why? " BECAUSE ITS GOOD FOR ME"

Offline marina

Re: rediscovering liver
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 14:29:19 PM »
That post made me laugh Ally  ;D

I too can remember the baths, nit comb, cod liver oil AND hating liver! Having also been married 42 years this year I can remember thinking 'that's it, I can cook what I want now'

After a long number of years I probably tried liver again and discovered it wasn't that bad so had it occasionally.  However, after trying it at various restaurants in Calis I can honestly say they know how to serve liver and onions.  OH always laughs when we're choosing what to eat as he knows that I'll have that a few times over the course of a couple of weeks whether as a starter or main course.  It's always delicious!

When we were over in June I had liver and onions as a main at Bambu, served with rice (of course) small portion of chips and fresh veg! Carrot, cauli and broccoli,  :D

Don't think I've tried it at Obens yet but will put it on my list for next time   ;)

Offline CAROL BROWNE

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 14:50:42 PM »
me too cod liver oil & virol loved virol tin bath in the outside wash house run through the snow in winter with a towel wrapped round me privey down the garden you had to take a candle in a jar for light also torn up newspaper on a string for our toilet paper  i loved liver 7 still do

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 15:02:23 PM »
I particularly like a starter of Albanian liver - "Arnavut ciğer' if you are in a Turkish place.

Offline gillian handbury

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 15:30:05 PM »
Oooeer! Off the original post... Maybe start a ....those were the days topic.....we remember a Newspaper on a string, back of privey door...had lots of laughs at jokes etc ...read more on back of door than the original newspaper.....Also can not remember if we spent more time ripping squares to put on string or making paper sticks..roll & twist..to make kindle for fire...our children laugh & tell us we are joking and switch on the heating and open yet another.... soft ....strong,  andrex toilet roll......oops! Dont forget Izal....rough...tough...and takes no ?
Liver ...now that a another story...I think all we had was Ox liver...tough strong and yes ....because it's  good for you..  Only now  eat lambs liver , but will try calfs liver in September....
Loved the malt cod liver oil.....

Offline patrice

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 15:34:31 PM »
Can't say I would eat the liver regardless how it is cooked  !!

I remember the tin bath placed by the open fire for my Sunday bath and the torn up newspaper for toilet paper. The old copper boiler was another memory and the excitement in the household when my dad bought my mum a spin dryer to replace the mangle  ???

Offline Steve A

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 16:22:30 PM »
I love liver and the best I have had is in Turkey- Ayden Pide and Gunisik do it particularly well but the best was a few years ago when there was a small restaurant opposite Scarlett which was only open one season I think and the head waiter was the double of Joe Cocker !

Offline patrice

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 16:27:29 PM »
My husband loves liver but never tried it in Turkey always hesitated so maybe he can give it a try  : :)  ;)

Offline marina

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 16:37:05 PM »
I love liver and the best I have had is in Turkey- Ayden Pide and Gunisik do it particularly well but the best was a few years ago when there was a small restaurant opposite Scarlett which was only open one season I think and the head waiter was the double of Joe Cocker !
Yes, I know just who you mean Steve, can't remember his name but someone on here will.  Restaurant was called Sardunya. Their liver and onions was fabulous, the onions were served raw if I remember rightly and sliced very thin.  :D

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 18:35:32 PM »
when we arrive we do a big shop and it always includes liver
i do a nice bacon and liver casserole

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf