Author Topic: Banks  (Read 9338 times)

Offline Linda1953

Banks
« on: July 09, 2004, 14:24:36 PM »
Are most of the banks safe to bank in - in Turkey? Would your money stand any possibility of disappearing? :o

Did you all just transfer your money from your bank here in England over to the Turkish bank of your choice?

Apologise for the dumb questions - I have not got a clue basically :D

Linda&Elaine

Offline glennat

Banks
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 15:19:01 PM »
Hi Linda & Elaine,

I can't answer from experience but this question has been asked already and the answer is....banks CAN go bust!

I have an account with Garanti bank (excuse spelling) as this seems to be one of the better ones....I hope!

Glen

Offline DaveM

Banks
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 15:47:12 PM »
I have had an account with the Garanti for 6 months now.

I have internet banking so I can keep my eye on it from the UK.  Also I have a ATM card which I used frequently during my stay in May.

So seems ok so far.

I transfer money from UK.  Check what your bank for charges before sending.  I'm with the Abbey they charge £25 fixed, others have recommended the Nationwide.

Offline AnneandTerry

Banks
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 15:51:33 PM »
We too are with Garanti and can certainly recommend them, both for banking and insurance.

Anne and Terry

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Banks
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 17:26:48 PM »
Dave

Did you get your ATM card when you opened the account, I have accounts with Garanti and would like to get a card.

Linda, Garanti is an International bank and a safe bet

Offline AnneandTerry

Banks
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 17:36:40 PM »
Garanti ATM cards are only available for use with a TL account.   Just ask the bank and they will send you one.   Just one word of warning, our card was sent to our agent, instead of to our Turkish address, as they had helped us upen the account in the first place, but it was no problem once we knew where it was.   You then have to telephone Alo Garanti to obtain your PIN number - very easy - once you get through, press 9 for the English service and go through your security checks including your customer number, and they will give you the number straight away.

You can also use Alo Garanti to arrange internet access to your accounts.

Anne and Terry

Offline tytots

Banks
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2004, 17:42:08 PM »
Is there a list avaliable of 'safe banks', those that carry a guarantee of £10.000 (or so I have heard) if it does go bust! With the chance of some banks going bust, it would make sense to stash your money into different banks. Any probs. in doing this. Thanks. Ty

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Banks
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2004, 20:29:25 PM »
Thanks for the info A&T

I have some cash in my GBP account which I want to draw this August, if the Garanti card is only applicable to your TL account, can you draw on yhe GBP account with your pass book ?

Rimms

Offline AnneandTerry

Banks
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2004, 21:23:10 PM »
Hi, Rimms

Yes, you can draw money out of your GBP account (in GBP or TL) with your passbook, or you can get the money transferred into your TL account with no charge and then draw it out with your ATM card.

Anne and Terry

Offline Linda1953

Banks
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2004, 05:23:47 AM »
Thanks all, Garanti bank seems to be the best option.

Gosh there is so much I didn't know!

Linda

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf