Author Topic: paying taxes  (Read 4423 times)

Offline Hellzbellz

• Newly Registered
paying taxes
« on: August 14, 2014, 07:59:13 AM »
I have a friend moving out to Turkey at the end of this year. She is self employed in the UK and is still going to be doing her UK work online. As her money will go into her UK bank still, would she have to pay tax in UK still or would it have to be paid in Turkey as that will be where she is residing?

Offline trainer

• Last man standing
Re: paying taxes
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 10:59:58 AM »
I am not sure if I am right but if she is declaring tax on earnings in Turkey even though her work online is based in the UK she would still need a work permit and I did read somewhere that a couple who were acting as estate agents (online) where deported for not having work permits,  I could be totally wrong  but she needs to do some in-depth research before she starts

Offline Hellzbellz

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 17:47:31 PM »
yes I thought she may need a permit to. She is going to look into getting one anyway as eventually wants to expand to work in Turkey

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 18:25:04 PM »
If she is working solely online then she'd be opening up a serious can of worms if she tried to declare anything to the Turkish authorities.  In my (totally unqualified) opinion, she is better having an address in the UK, such as an accountant, and keeping everything there - tax included.  Depending on earnings, its likely she'd pay less tax in the UK as well.

When she gets here, she'd also better keep her mouth shut about what she is doing as there is always some jealous fcuker who will take great delight in grassing her up to the polis/maliye.  Sad, but true.

JF

Offline quelchy

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 05:34:44 AM »
One can work in Turkey if one is being paid by a company outside Turkey and the Money is going to be also paid to a bank etc outside Turkey.  I have colleagues who work for a very big Company that do this all the time.  If it were not legal they would not be doing it.

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 06:29:46 AM »
If your friend is self-employed and registered as a sole trader she could not argue that she is being paid by a company outside Turkey as she *is* the business.

She could however restructure - set up the business as a limited company and be paid as an employee, which would fulfil the above requirements.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 06:30:17 AM »
I completely agree with what JohnF says. ( I really must stop doing this  ;) )

Offline mac2010

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 11:23:35 AM »
One can work in Turkey if one is being paid by a company outside Turkey and the Money is going to be also paid to a bank etc outside Turkey.  I have colleagues who work for a very big Company that do this all the time.  If it were not legal they would not be doing it.

Large organisations have special agreements in place such as tour companies and international firms but being the only person and she is not employing anyone she can not do this with out a permit.As someone has already said keep everything uk based and keep very quiet here.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 12:54:15 PM »

The crucial phrase here is "a very big company", not a self employed sole trader.  Although depending on where the company is based, they often still need permission from the Ministry of Labour which I have seen refused on more then one occasion.

She could however restructure - set up the business as a limited company and be paid as an employee, which would fulfil the above requirements.

Which all costs money and may not be suited to her individual circumstances.  In addition, her Residence Permit would then be linked to her employment and any changes in work status can see the RP voided.  I've seen the hassle two friends in Istanbul have gone through this past few months with their RP's when all they did was change jobs, expensive and stressful!

JF

Offline Hellzbellz

• Newly Registered
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 07:41:47 AM »
Thankyou all for your input. I will pass all comments on to her.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf